Skip to main content
Topic: Aftermarket Transmission? (Read 2267 times) previous topic - next topic

Aftermarket Transmission?

The transmission in my 88 cougar is going i believe...shifts really hard into second gear and drops into second hard as well...i figure since im going to upgrade to a HO 5.0 when i can find one, id replace the transmission with a good quality B&M or Hays, but of course theres nothing even close to a thunderbird/cougar in their catalogs.  Has anybody ever put an aftermarket transmission in one of their Cougars?  Or am I going to have to just put in a refurbished standard gearbox?
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #1
A performance-built AOD for an Aero Mustang will work...although you may have to convert to floorshift, if your car isn't already...

If you change transmissions, make sure to take and blow out your cooler lines with air, to get as much old fluid out.

Also, have you changed your trans fluid and filter, sometimes doing that will help...

You can also swap in a T5, but you'll need to find a donor Mustang for the pedals, cable, bellhousing and of course source the transmission, as well. Driveshaft may or may not work, some have reported differences, mine however is the same shaft from when my car was auto. (It's a 5 speed now)...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
If i could use a transmission from a mustang then perhaps this http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/114501/10002/-1 would work...i know there was another thread asking if you could use a mustang transmission and someone said you could

Reply #3
Make sure your TV cable at the throttle body is hooked up.  They are notorious for the plastic bushing breaking and falling off.
Mike

Reply #4
Well, for what it's worth, I have a T5 from a Mustang in my Tbird...

The transmissions will interchange, however, if your car is column shift, you'll need to do a little work to make a Mustang AOD compatible...as none of them were column shift.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
The pedals in the TC are the same as the pedals in the 4 cylinder and 5.0 Fox mustangs.  Just thought I would toss that out there for more options to get the pedals from.  Probably has been discussed several times though.

Why couldn't you use a Mustang AOD and convert it to a column shift the way you convert a Thunderbird or Cougar column shift AOD to a floor shift?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
You could. I'm not sure if the tail shaft is the same length or not on the Mustang tranny.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #7
Quote from: tbirdsps;359364
You could. I'm not sure if the tail shaft is the same length or not on the Mustang tranny.

Mustangs, T-birds, and Cougars all have the same length tail shaft. Mark VIIs and RWD Continentals have the long tail shaft.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
That's good to know.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #9
so i guess thats a yes to wether or not the B&M AOD would fit

Reply #10
Sounds like it to me.  Why not just call B&M and see what they say?

For B&M Customer Service, call: 1-818-882-6422
Hours: 7am - 11:30am and 12:30pm - 4pm (all times are Pacific Standard Time)

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp