Skip to main content
Topic: Help, killed blinkers + dash lights, not a fuse (Read 1774 times) previous topic - next topic

Help, killed blinkers + dash lights, not a fuse

I pulled my instrument cluster apart to change the resistor on my tach (v8 swap, now it reads correct) when I was getting it back in I snapped an ear off the plug that snaps into the back of the cluster, but it still plugged in snug. Now my cluster works but no lights, no blinkers on it or outside the car. I checked all the fuses. I did notice I broke one of the bulbs off the back when I was putting it in, does it complete the circuit of something? Car is an 88 turbo coupe. I haven't had a chance to pull it apart since it has been pouring and will continue till Thursday but wouldn't mind a direction to head. Thanks
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #2
thanks for the schematic. Looks like the only common link is the cluster though. And no the flashers are dead. According to owners book number 4 in pic is fuse for it, but I checked it and it was good. I'll check again to make sure I'm not a noob.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #3
Hazzards are dead too? If not, the flasher or fuse number 5 is probably gone.
As you can see, the fuse 5 is common for backup lamps. Do they work?
The last thing may be problem with connector of turn signal switch (may be disconnected).

PS: My EVTM is for 86 Bird / Cougar. 87/88 cars may have different fuse numbers and amount.

Reply #4
Well its fixed, little worried, ended up changed my blinker switch and headlight switch, everything works except the right blinker bulb doesn't light up in the cluster nor the hi beam light.....