Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical question (Read 1318 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrical question

OK I have an 88 turbocoupe that I swapped a carb'd 331 stroker with c4, the teeves doesn't work right and the suspension is dead. I'm going to be moving to SVO booster and monroe shocks and struts. So I would like to clean up the wiring. Can I remove the computer from the kick panel, and if so what will stay working? better yet is the ECU harness seperate from these other systems? The fuel pump is wired seperate from everything else now with a fuel pump relay kit. I'm not having much luck finding info. I'm not opposed to doing a universal wiring harness and replacing the original, and doing a Fuel injection swap from a 5.0.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Electrical question

Reply #1
Schematic of EECIV (for a V8)

Should be able to pull the comp. The EECIV harness comes out pretty cleanly with a few connectors.  You're probably running a points or Pertronics distributor.  You might have to run a few wires for your senders (oil, water, tach) as I think they run along with the FI bundle. Might be able to cut them free with little issue.  You probably have already re-run these and you said your FP is already switched via the ignition.  I have an 88 EVTM if you run into trouble.

-Dan
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Electrical question

Reply #2
Im in the middle of it you might lose the speedo, I did and  I currently have the dash and car side harness out. and plan on sitting down at the table and lightining that up. Flylear feals that ihe speedo should work again and now that i know how the sender works so do I
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Electrical question

Reply #3
Thank you for the responses, will the fuel gauge die as well? I'm running an HEI distributor so all I need for it is a 12v source. About the diagram, is that the same for mustang and cougars?
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Electrical question

Reply #4
Fuel gauge is just wired to the tank sender.  Speedo only needs a 12v source going to the pulse generator.  The computer ties into it (I forget where) for the MPG calculations. Only way you would loose those is if you hacked out the wiring accidentally with the ECM wires.  I think the only thing that relies on the computer is the MPG calcs from a full digital dash, which wouldn't be working already.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Electrical question

Reply #5
So stupid question, and the one I meant from get go but danced around. The brakes are a seperate harness from the engine harness? and as far as a 5.0 swap what about me not having a bunch of sensors, think it will still run or would I be better off going Megasquirt. Specifically about bunch of wires I mean, egr, tpi, fuel pump.

Electrical question

Reply #6
Your running carbed right?  The gauge sensors are separate from the EFI sensors.  If you plan on running any kind of EFI you will need the O2, CTS, IAT, TPS, and others.

Electrical question

Reply #7
Ya, My headers have a bung on them already, CTS I think is in an intake, IAT is in intake and TPS will be on TB so I think all will be added on when I swap whatever top end I can to it.