Skip to main content
Topic: Well I almost pulled the trigger on a new car (Read 2760 times) previous topic - next topic

Well I almost pulled the trigger on a new car

Hey Guys. I haven't been on a ton in the past week or so, because I've been out looking at new cars. I might have mentioned some of the cars in other threads, but I've looked at 2 Camaro SS's one 2010 one 2011, a new Mustang 5.0, a 2008 Audi A4 Titanium package, a 2008 Infinity G35s coupe, a 2010 nissan 370z, a 1987 T-Bird v6 with 60k miles, a 2006 Monte Carlo SS, and a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track Pack 3.8.

Believe it or not, the Hyundai was very nice. Loaded, 6 speed, leather, navigation, bluetooth, brembo brakes, heated seats, infinity sound system, everything for just over $28,000 OTD.

I put a deposit on the car, and when I went back to fill out the paperwork, all of a sudden the warranty had changed. I was promised as a Hyundai certified used car I would have the remainder of the 5 year, 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty, and a 10year,100k mile warranty. And for the agreed price they were going to bump that up to 10 year 100k mile umper to bumper, until it came time to sign the deal, then the reneged. After haggling with them about it, they told me it would be an additional $1,100. I walked out the door and will never set foot in the place again.

I wanted to vent, and thank you for listening, or reading this. I was all excited, I was finally going to have a reliable car with no worries, something sports, technologically advanced, quick, and economical. Oh well, it's either a sign to buy what I've wanted for 3 years, a New Camaro, or a sign I should keep the bird; but the bird needs a complete rehash; it leaks every fluid it contains.

//End rant.

Reply #1
There's a reason everyone says Hyundais suck. Even the good ones... lol.

Just for curiosity, why a Camaro, and not a Mustang or Charger? I'm not knockin it, I know its sweet, but I just wondered what your particular opinion was on why it and not the other two?

I have a hard time choosing one of the three... in a hypothetical world where I could afford to buy any of them that is lol
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #2
Quote from: sarjxxx;356692
There's a reason everyone says Hyundais suck. Even the good ones... lol.

Just for curiosity, why a Camaro, and not a Mustang or Charger? I'm not knockin it, I know its sweet, but I just wondered what your particular opinion was on why it and not the other two?

I have a hard time choosing one of the three... in a hypothetical world where I could afford to buy any of them that is lol

Well the charger is a four door car. I really wanted to stay in the relm on a coupe, granted I have come out of that, but still. I want to look at a new Charger with AWD, in that cirspoogestance, I'll tolerate the 4 doors to have a car that should be pretty decent in the snow, and nice in the summer too. But everyplace I called they are 3-6 weeks out. Again, for the AWD ones. The Mustang, I dunno, you see them all the time and they become a staple. The Camaro's are selling, but you don't see them all the time.

The only thing that stopped me from the Camaro like 2 months ago was It's hard to see when changing lanes etc. But the other night while laying in bed I sprung up, sort of one of those movie scenes, and I had an epiphany. I could get the little circular stick on mirror for the side view mirrors for a couple of months. Yeah, they look sorta "stupid" but who is really going to notice them. And really 420 ponies at my right foot to get the same mileage I'm getting now with 150 ponies, is worth it's weight in gold.

Reply #3
The camaro SS is a sweet ride- so is the new mustang. Did you get to test drive the new Mustang? Very Impressive for a stock car.

Reply #4
Those Genesis Coupes are supposed to be pretty nice.  Sucks the dealership was screwing you around.

Personally, I wouldn't want one of the neo-muscle cars.  The Camaro looks like a caricature of itself, the Dodges are bloated pigs, and the Mustangs---well I'm still not a fan , outside of the power plants. 

Then again, I don't like what everyone else likes. ;)

Good luck in your search.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
The Camaro is a nice car but has horrible  outward visibility for short people , I'm only 5'6 and I couldn't see anything out side the car:hick:

The Genesis I think is a cool car for what it is , not for me , but cool

of course the newest car i have ever owned was a 96 sable wagon
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #6
I think the Hyundai 10/100 only applies to new car buyers.  The 5/60 stays with the car no matter how many owners it has.  Anything beyond that is probably one of those aftermarket warranty type things.

Their being misleading is not Hyundai's fault.  Every brand has their share of swindlers working at various dealerships throughout the country.

Quote from: Chuck W;356729
Then again, I don't like what everyone else likes. ;)

Been in that boat my whole life... :hick:
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #7
Quote from: jpc647;356727
Well the charger is a four door car. I really wanted to stay in the relm on a coupe, granted I have come out of that, but still. I want to look at a new Charger with AWD, in that cirspoogestance, I'll tolerate the 4 doors to have a car that should be pretty decent in the snow, and nice in the summer too. But everyplace I called they are 3-6 weeks out. Again, for the AWD ones. The Mustang, I dunno, you see them all the time and they become a staple. The Camaro's are selling, but you don't see them all the time.

The only thing that stopped me from the Camaro like 2 months ago was It's hard to see when changing lanes etc. But the other night while laying in bed I sprung up, sort of one of those movie scenes, and I had an epiphany. I could get the little circular stick on mirror for the side view mirrors for a couple of months. Yeah, they look sorta "stupid" but who is really going to notice them. And really 420 ponies at my right foot to get the same mileage I'm getting now with 150 ponies, is worth it's weight in gold.

ah, I see. Although, what I meant to type was Challenger, not Charger:punchballs:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #8
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;356744
I think the Hyundai 10/100 only applies to new car buyers.  The 5/60 stays with the car no matter how many owners it has.  Anything beyond that is probably one of those aftermarket warranty type things.

I learend that a Hyundai Certified Used car will come with the 10yr/100mile warranty. the certification is usually about 1,000 more. To make it a bumper to bumper warranty for 10 years, it's about another 1000 through an aftermarket company.

Reply #9
Ever consider an SN95? I'm seriously thinking of selling mine.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/10178466-post3189.html
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #10
Man you should try taking another look at the genesis coupe, one of my buddys works at a hyundai dealership and he got to drive the 2010 Genesis 3.8 with the track pack and 6mt and that thing was a beast he let me drive it and well i was alittle rusty at shifting and dropped the clutch acouple of times but once i got the hang of it you couldn't give me a new mustang, camaro, or challenger and as much as i hate to say it it's the only other car i like better than my bird and thats saying alot. Hopefully by the end of this year i will have one parked in my driveway sitting pretty next to my bird.
1987 Thunderbird Sport (soon to be GT edition) - In shop getting new paint job and interior work. (put on hold as of 11/2/2010, Resumed and going at it slowly its hard to be poor nowadays...)

Reply #11
Quote from: shame302;356899
Ever consider an SN95? I'm seriously thinking of selling mine.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/10178466-post3189.html

Not really. Nice car, but too many of them around.

Quote from: RareBreed 5.0;357104
Man you should try taking another look at the genesis coupe, one of my buddys works at a hyundai dealership and he got to drive the 2010 Genesis 3.8 with the track pack and 6mt and that thing was a beast he let me drive it and well i was alittle rusty at shifting and dropped the clutch acouple of times but once i got the hang of it you couldn't give me a new mustang, camaro, or challenger and as much as i hate to say it it's the only other car i like better than my bird and thats saying alot. Hopefully by the end of this year i will have one parked in my driveway sitting pretty next to my bird.

It was really nice, just the dealer that tried to screw me over and it's the only used 3.8 track in the area. I wouldn't say I like it more than the Camaro though, the Camaro is just brute force, and 1 and 2nd gear are just incredible. I hit 62 in first in the camaro before I pinged off the rev limiter, it was pretty nice.  I looked at the Monte Carlo again too. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Reply #12
Quote from: jpc647;357139
Not really. Nice car, but too many of them around.

No offense here, but isn't that kind of the same with those new Camaro's? I don't know about Mass., but I see them everywhere here. I understand your point though, I wouldn't want a "belly button" car either, but sadly the new Camaro's (as well as other's) are becoming that way too. But, personal preference is alway key, buy something that makes you happy, it's good you're looking around though, I would've jumped the gun  and mistakenly bought something I would eventually hate. Good luck.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #13
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;357141
No offense here, but isn't that kind of the same with those new Camaro's? I don't know about Mass., but I see them everywhere here. I understand your point though, I wouldn't want a "belly button" car either, but sadly the new Camaro's (as well as other's) are becoming that way too. But, personal preference is alway key, buy something that makes you happy, it's good you're looking around though, I would've jumped the gun  and mistakenly bought something I would eventually hate. Good luck.
That goes to say with any of the new cars really. At least mine is custom/different and turns heads constantly. The new bowtie is everywhere and so is the mustang. Only difference is the '11 mustang is many times a better car imho than the camaro in any trim. That thing sucks and it's ugmo. The guy is local so i figured i'd throw it out there.

To the guy that said you couldn't give him a new mustang or x y z car over a genesis. Sure it's a nice car but i'd have to assume you have yet to drive the twentyeleven mustang GT. I dunno, maybe you have. I'm not trying to devalue your opinion. The Genesis is a nice little car but completely outclassed by the new mustang in every way. If i keep my car i have a feeling it will have a new coyote under the hood before long.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #14
Quote from: shame302;357179
To the guy that said you couldn't give him a new mustang or x y z car over a genesis. Sure it's a nice car but i'd have to assume you have yet to drive the twentyeleven mustang GT. I dunno, maybe you have. I'm not trying to devalue your opinion. The Genesis is a nice little car but completely outclassed by the new mustang in every way. If i keep my car i have a feeling it will have a new coyote under the hood before long.

I understand, i got to drive a 2011 Gt with he coyote and it was one hell of a car and is probably alot better with a 6mt, the one i tested had the auto, the stang looks better than all the others by far in my opinion but i have my V8 and for around 20k you couldn't get a better v6 car than the genesis but i've also got the whole fast and furious thing where the DD is a import and when i want to get serious i have a Dominating Tbird.:D
1987 Thunderbird Sport (soon to be GT edition) - In shop getting new paint job and interior work. (put on hold as of 11/2/2010, Resumed and going at it slowly its hard to be poor nowadays...)