Skip to main content
Topic: Is this the sign of a blown head gasket? LOL (Read 2410 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this the sign of a blown head gasket? LOL

Car doesnt overheat, doesn't smoke or blow white unless its right after topping off the coolant like today. Today I had to add about a gallon of coolant. Took off the rad cap rad was a little low and let her warm up to temp added a little over a gallon walked to the back of the car to reveal this.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #1
Could be just condensation mine does that from a cold start. You need to do a leak down test or get a funnel that screws to your radiator cap and with the car running look for bubbles
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #2
Ya I need to do a leak down on the motor I keep loosing fluid in this motor but on a warm day or after I drive the car and its warmed up good the car doesn't smoke at all or overheat I just cant figure out where the coolant is being lost at. The water that is in the pic doesn't smell like coolant and is clear like plain water.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #3
Check all the coolant and heater hoses, I mean all of them. As far as what's behind your tailpipe's, I wouldn't worry about it too much, mine does the same thing...
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #4
All my cars do that, Even our new Lincoln...They don't get much driving time. maybe once every week or so
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
All my cars do that as well till I start driving them regularly.  That being said adding a gallon of coolant is a fair amount. Hows the heater core. I would check at the drain at the firewall. I know people have said there cores leaked in the pass footwell but the 2 I had go bad both leaked out the evap case drain outside the car,

Reply #6
When my car was off the road for a few years I'd start it up and warm it up occasionally, and also start it to drive it around the yard. The last going off, before I put it back on the road, you could hear the water gurgling in the exhaust system when the car was idling. One time I decided to rev the engine a few times and I'm sure gallons of water blew out those tailpipes. Also, I'd changed the oil before going into storage and then changed it again before driving it on the road, and about a half quart of clear water came out of the oil pan drain plug before oil started flowing. Condensation's a bitch...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
How long did you drive it before adding the coolant? You could have a small pinhole leak in one of your hoses that only leaks when you run the car and the lost coolant could hitting hitting somewhere on the motor, burning off before you shut the car down. It may be small enough to where you wouldn't notice smoke in the engine bay until the hole gets bigger. Happened to me in my Mark, didn't notice it until the car almost overheated.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #8
I drive this car every day Mon - Fri It sat from Friday Night untill Today Sunday afternoon. When I went to check the rad fluid I have the pressure release cap and it was still holding pressure even after sitting. The oil was changed 2 weeks ago as well as topping off the coolant and when I changed it there was no sighns of water in the oil and after pulling the dipstick today there were also no signs of water in the oil. The only thing that I can see is around the water pump gasket it looks like there might be a little seeping from where the water pump gasket mates together. I might just have to pull the pump and put a new gasket in.
87 TC

Reply #9
Quote from: bigbada1;356528
I drive this car every day Mon - Fri It sat from Friday Night untill Today Sunday afternoon. When I went to check the rad fluid I have the pressure release cap and it was still holding pressure even after sitting. The oil was changed 2 weeks ago as well as topping off the coolant and when I changed it there was no sighns of water in the oil and after pulling the dipstick today there were also no signs of water in the oil. The only thing that I can see is around the water pump gasket it looks like there might be a little seeping from where the water pump gasket mates together. I might just have to pull the pump and put a new gasket in.

Mine has a leak in the same spot. Wipe it off, and watch it. Mine could be leaking from the timing cover, not sure. But it's only a small leak, my oil isn't going up.. My car leaves water on the ground like that too, and i drive it at least 6 days a week.

Reply #10
I love living in a desert. No hummidity.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
check the timing cover gasket mine leaks there when its cold out

Reply #12
Don't worry too much...water is a natural by-product of the internal combustion engine seeing as it relies on fuel (Hydro-carbons) and air (Oxygen); water is H2O so the chances of your engine producing water are pretty good. Tack on a Catalytic Converter and the effect is magnified.

Reply #13
Quote from: 87tbird5.0;356699
check the timing cover gasket mine leaks there when its cold out

I just put a bunch of RTV silicone sealant around the water pump where it was leaking. I'm not pulling the pump off. Seems to be okay(2 days).

Reply #14
I pretty sure that it is just condensation when I took this pic it was a few days after I redid the exhaust. I went from Headers and stock catted H pipe that just dumped (no ler) to a full OR Hpipe, Flowmaster 40 and tails.  I never have had a full exhaust on this car untill recently
87 TC