Skip to main content
Topic: Remember when... (Read 1222 times) previous topic - next topic

Remember when...

Remember when it was a big deal to have a Thunderbird engine in your everday Ford sedan?

Ok I realize that I'm one of the old ones here that really does remember when.;)

Up until the mid to late 60's when you got a 312, 390 4V, 428/429 in you Galaxie or Country Sedan etc. the valve covers said "Thunderbird".

So how come folks here say that Thunderbird/Cougars share parts with Mustangs?  Oh not so fast, I say that Mustangs share parts with Thunderbirds and Cougars.

:evilgrin:
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Remember when...

Reply #1

Remember when...

Reply #2
I had a 312 in a 60 F-100 it never said tbird though! but it was out of one. I'm old to. It was also a solid cab bed to.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Remember when...

Reply #3
The reason for saying "Mustang engines" now is the same reason people said "Thunderbird engines" back in the day, they were the best of the best personal cars of the day with engines to match.

By in large though, the Thunderbird lost it's heritage little by little from the mid 60's on, to the point where it became so watered down to the general public that the prestige of having the name on your valve covers just seemed tacky. Plus with all of the specialty high performance engines only available to the Mustang and Fairlane/Torinos of the late 60's, an engine from the now barge like 4-door Thunderbird would seem kinda weak in comparison.

Relating to these Fox Thunderbird's, the Mustang engine was higher performance. Nobody wanted the Thunderbird's SO engine over the Mustang's HO lol. I have however heard chatter in Mustang circles occasionally refer to the SVO's having the "Thunderbird engine" in them, plus the Super Coupe engine is almost always called the "Super Coupe engine" by Mustang swappers so there is still some of that heritage left.
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Remember when...

Reply #4
What ever we get I guess.:burnout:

In my orginal post however I meant 312, 352 and 430.  Oh well memory goes with age too.:disappoin  My brother had a 56 Ford with the 312, it said Thunderbird on the valve covers.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Remember when...

Reply #5
"56 Ford with a Thunderbird Y-8" - Don't know how many times I heard my old man refer lovingly to that car... I never got to drive it but he sure did, and loved every minute of it unless I'm mistaken.  ;)

http://www.lovefords.org/56ford/power.htm