Skip to main content
Topic: ported intake manifolds (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

ported intake manifolds

im looking for ported or gutted 2.3 intake manifold. i know 40bob and boport have them but they are alittle pricey. lower and upper intake manifolds. any leads will be greatly appreciated as well! thank you!
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

ported intake manifolds

Reply #1
do you want a rotated upper or over the vlave cover?
John

ported intake manifolds

Reply #2
over the valve cover but either would work i guess
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

ported intake manifolds

Reply #3
I have several set ups. I have a 90 degree forward facing with egr hook up (great from fmic) that has been knife edged on the upp end to give you longer runners and no need to knife edge the lower intake. very trick set up. $125 shipped- this takes care of both upper and lower with just replacing the upper.

I also have a gutted 135 degree upper but it may hit the abs set up on 87-88 tc's-$80 shipped

knife edge lowers-$75 shipped

I can gut your upper for $50- includes mailing back to you 1-1/2 week turn around

knife edge lowers $55 - same as above /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
John

ported intake manifolds

Reply #4
Oh wow that sounds awesome! So for the 90 degree setup, there is an extension piece for the EGR?

ported intake manifolds

Reply #5
If you're not going to properly port the lower intake, there's little point it swapping them. The big restriction with the lower is just upstream of the injectors.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

ported intake manifolds

Reply #6
what do you mean by properly port?

ported intake manifolds

Reply #7
The intake is restricted just upstream of the injectors. Running a gutted upper and "knife edged" lower only gains you so much. To see the entire benefit, you need to take some time and open up the lower intake all the way through, paying special attention to the are just upstream of the injector bosses. Be careful not to poke a hole in the port walls.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

ported intake manifolds

Reply #8
alright, so if i just get the whole thing ported, it will be fine then?

ported intake manifolds

Reply #9
Sorry i should have stated that better. If the upper and lower are ported match, will it still improve power if i dont get the intake and exhaust ports on the head ported? or if i get the intakes ported, do i have to port the intake and exhaust ports along with the header to see improvement power wise?

ported intake manifolds

Reply #10
You will not need to port the head.  Running an upper intake that has not been gutted, but has been ported along with an uported lower will gain very little. If you have the upper intake gutted, and the lower "knife edged", you will gain a little power, but you'll move the peak power up in the rpm range. You will see a good benifit if you run a gutted upper, properly ported, "knife edged"  lower, but the power gain comes in the upper rpm range. If you want to keep as much low end power as possible, run the ported upper (n ot guttted) with a properly ported, non "knife edged" lower.