Skip to main content
Topic: Help me choose shocks and struts (Read 2689 times) previous topic - next topic

Help me choose shocks and struts

Hello, Been a lurker here for a bit, just recently posted some pics of my car's engine up in the Engine bay thread. Long story short, I have an 88 tc that I grew tired of breaking the 2.3t and built a 331 stroker. I finally got it together and found that the current shock and strut combo I have (factory electric jobber) has finally died. Looking to replace them with something to beef it up in the corners (I like to drive hills and curves at a moderate speed) and don't really care about the ride quality. Another question, are my springs I have on my car are still adequate for the v8 swap? I think they may be alright as the 331 has aluminum heads and intake, where as my 2.3 t had cast iron mainfold and turbo hanging off of it and weighed close to what my current setup does.  Any help and suggestions would be helpful, I have been searching and reading but most of what I see is mustang advice on the net.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #1
The TC springs are about as stout as you can get in a stock spring. My last TC I swapped to Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and was pretty happy. Firm but not overly so. I'd recommend them to anyone. They aren't a real sporting type shock, so you may want to go stiffer for better handling if you are willing to make ride sacrifices.

Reply #2
I was looking at them, seems to be what most ppl were recommending.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #3
It all depends on what kind of $$ you want to drop on dampers.  If you really want some good ones that actually ride well then I would recommend the Bilstein HD's.  If the car is not lowered I would use the SN95 Mustang front struts and if it is lowered then go with the Fox Mustang struts.  The SN95 strut is about 1" longer but it is in the rod which will bottom out on a lowered car (SN95 guys with lowered cars use the Fox strut) and this has been very well dospoogeented on the Mustang sites.  I have Fox struts on my '83 but it is down in the weeds so they were the logical choice.  The 83-86 T-Birds use the 87-93 Fox Mustang lower control arm and the 87-88 T-Birds use the SN95 Mustang lower control arm so it makes sense that the 83-86 Birds will use the Fox strut and the 87-88 cars will use the SN-95 strut.

For the rears get Chuck W's rear shock adapters which let you use Mustang rear shocks which are more readily available.  The SN95 rear shocks and the Fox shocks are physically the same length extended.  The SN95 rear shock allows for one more inch of bump travel (it will compress one more inch than the Fox rear shocks) which is good for lowered cars.  The Fox unit also is not recommended for coil overs as it has an insufficient weld configuration on the lower shock eye to be used with coil over suspension.  You may hear stories on how the valving of the Mustang shocks will not work well on the heavier T-Birds but many have the conversion and they work just fine.  If you are going to lower the car then I would suggest that you get the shorter pinion snubber (MM has this as well) and if you go with the SN95 rear shocks remove the frame rail bump stops as the Bilstein's have bump stops mounted on the shock.  This will give you the travel you need with a lowered car as well as allow the shock to work like it is designed to.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
Thank you for the info. I won't be lowering it though as my headers hang pretty low under the car now. I also have a 4 qt pan on my c4 and its down there (any lower and I'll be sing pavement)

I was looking at the front spindle swaps dospoogeented everywhere but my brakes are super since they are the electro hydraulic break system and stops like a champ.

Reply #5
If they are the stock 87-88 TC spindles then they are the same as the 87-93 5.0 Mustangs so the 5.0 Fox Mustang or SN95 Mustang struts will bolt right up.

Darren

Reply #6
Shocks / Struts
    Non-adjustable -- Bilsteins for a Fox Mustang with rear shock spacers made by ChuckW on here.
    Adjustable -- Koni yellows, same spacer in the rear

Springs
    Tough call here as it depends on your desired ride height.  I run Moog 8598's up front and 8599's in the rear.  The rears are the stock replacement,  The fronts are stock length and spring rate albeit with a lower load rating as the car has had a good amount of weight reduction up front.  It makes for a nice drop.  If you still have all your accessories I'd recommend the 8600's for up front with the aluminum heads.  If you're looking for a progressive rate for outback you can go with the Moog CC823.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Hijack.....

Are rear shocks the same from 83-86 to 87-88?  Interchangeable?
Mike

Reply #8
Quote from: mcb82gt;356315
Hijack.....

Are rear shocks the same from 83-86 to 87-88?  Interchangeable?

rear yes , front no
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #9
Online parts stores are showing different part numbers in the Monroe shocks (all flavors) but I was unaware of any difference as hypostang pointed out.

Darren

Reply #11
This info needs to be in a sticky or something.

Darren

Reply #12
Quote from: Aerocoupe;356011
If you really want some good ones that actually ride well then I would recommend the Bilstein HD's.

My car is pretty  stiff with these struts and shocks. I don't want to know what anything stiffer would feel like. Stock ride height with SN95 parts and Chuck's shock adapters. Going polyurethane and tubular control arms was nothing compared to these things.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #13
Here we get back to the damper and spring combination.  You can have a great spring or damper and mismatch either one with a poor choice and the ride quality and performace will suffer.  Again, this is totally subjective as what two people consider ride quality are two differnt opinions.  This is why a person needs to talk with who they are going to buy the gear from and get across the driving style, ride quality they want, and then make consessions for one or the other or both to get the best of both worlds.  This is all based on a person wanting more performance out of the car rather than just stock replacements.  I guess I should have been more clear about that from the get go.

The installation of the polyurethan bushings only compounded the problem if the control arms have them at both ends.  This will put the rear in a bind which the stiffer SN95 struts and shocks are now translating into the chassis.  My guess here is mismatched components causing most of the issue but without knowing what springs are on the car its just that, a guess.

The 03/04 Cobras came with the Bilstein HD's factory with either a 500/600 spring rate on the verts or a 600/600 on the Coupes.  I have ridden in several of these cars and they ride very well but again its all opinion.

Darren