Skip to main content
Topic: 1992 Thunderbird LX (Read 4515 times) previous topic - next topic

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #15
I think they look really close to a 2 door Crown Vic. I'm not really a fan of the MN-12 cars. A lot of the character seems to be gone from them as opposed to the previous years.In the end, it's all about individual taste. Fox Bird all the way for Vinnie.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #16
Quote from: RunninWild;355715
I respect your opinion and I agree with the fact that a stock MN12 (excluding the SC) definitely will outperform a typical 83-88 bird, save for the '88 TC. However the reason this forum exists is because we don't want to drive Mustangs. Tbirds and Cougars are much rarer to find, even more so in good shape, and they can do about anything you can upgrade a fox stang to do.

I almost bought a '96 4.6 XR7 instead of my current DD (Exploder), and I really wish I had bought it. This is basically what it looked like:
X

That was basically the point I was trying to make. I just think there's a big difference between liking these cars for being an alternative to the Mustang rather than liking them for what they are.

What if the Mustang was never based on the Fox platform and never developed it's wide array of aftermarket? Would you just cut and run from the Bird if that were the case? I would certainly hope not.

I respect anyone's opinion and am definitely not trying to convert anyone to the MN12 side but from my observations, much of the badmouthing I've seen about them here is that they simply aren't based on the Fox platform. I just find that a weak stance considering the basic layout and style was so largely carried over, even the styling changes weren't much more extensive than what was done in 1987 if you think about it. Most of what's different you can't really see at first glance and what you feel in the MN12 is pretty good at least IMHO

Quote from: irv;355719
gee what other forum have i seen this car on[wink, wink].
even though i have the 96 now ,i much prefer the 94-5
front end better. the 967 looks like someone punched it in the
grille.but from the drivers seat i cant see it. i couldnt find a
mint 94 or 5 to buy. wife also said i was done buying cars.

i used a 25th anniv. reflector and t/lamps to get rid of the
chrome and emblems in the back. pic was before i got my
ill plates

Hey I recognize that color Cougar from an avatar on that forum;), looks really good with those tails! They look better on yours than they did on the 25th anniversary cougars lol

I tend to agree, I think there's too much Tbird bleeding through the 96/7 front end giving it that punched out look. The 94/5's (and really 91-95's) to me always looked the best of the whole MN12 bunch. Clean and simple. They have a lot of 87/88 styling in them too which has always been my favorite of the Cougar styling.

I like that XR-7 in your sig btw
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #17
Quote from: vinnietbird;355720
I think they look really close to a 2 door Crown Vic. I'm not really a fan of the MN-12 cars. A lot of the character seems to be gone from them as opposed to the previous years.In the end, it's all about individual taste. Fox Bird all the way for Vinnie.

Well the Crown Vic was an aging box until 1992, from 89-91 the MN12's were pretty much as sleek as you could get. It was just a matter of time until the rest of the Ford fleet followed. It's not uncommon really. The Foxes had unprecedented styling until the Taurus was released, many would argue that the Tbirds of that era looked like 2 door Tauruses.
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #18
Maybe so. Liike I said, it's all about what the individual likes. I love the Sport.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #19
Quote from: XR7-4.6;355723
That was basically the point I was trying to make. I just think there's a big difference between liking these cars for being an alternative to the Mustang rather than liking them for what they are.

What if the Mustang was never based on the Fox platform and never developed it's wide array of aftermarket? Would you just cut and run from the Bird if that were the case? I would certainly hope not.

I see your point.  The ease of upgrading just adds to the appeal of these cars. Excluding exterior components...
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #20
Quote from: RunninWild;355715
I almost bought a '96 4.6 XR7 instead of my current DD (Exploder), and I really wish I had bought it. This is basically what it looked like:

You shoulda grabbed it. :disappoin
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #21
Quote from: XR7-4.6;355723

I respect anyone's opinion and am definitely not trying to convert anyone to the MN12 side but from my observations, much of the badmouthing I've seen about them here is that they simply aren't based on the Fox platform. I just find that a weak stance considering the basic layout and style was so largely carried over, even the styling changes weren't much more extensive than what was done in 1987 if you think about it. Most of what's different you can't really see at first glance and what you feel in the MN12 is pretty good at least IMHO

Meh. I agree with you. Fox, MN12 I dont care. All I care about is what it looks like and how it feels. And for me that answer is Cougar and Thunderbird chassis;).
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #22
I'm sad EITHER of them had to go through this ...

[video=youtube;RLh_whi_GuU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLh_whi_GuU[/video]
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #23
yeah I saw that. And I left a nasty comment:p
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #24
Quote from: sarjxxx;355799
You shoulda grabbed it. :disappoin

I know...at the time though the Ford dealership wanted about 1800 more than my Exploder. And they were going to give it to me "as is" without doing any of the pre-owned certified tests that they do on other cars. So then I went with the Explorer. A few months later and...TWO CRACKED CYLINDER HEADS!!! Not to mention a new radiator, oil sending unit, and allllll other kinds of bullshiznit that truck has put me through. Now she is reliable, but only after about 3K of work put into it on top of the 3800 we got it for...

Of course, had I bought the Cougar, that may have had problems down the road too I'll never know about...but I think I still should've done it.

Nice sigpic btw.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #25
Quote from: RunninWild;355871
TWO CRACKED CYLINDER HEADS!!!

Nice sigpic btw.
That's why they call 'em Exploders:giggle: oh thx
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

My 92 LX

Reply #26
Here's a picture of my 92.

Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #27
no wonder it looks so nice. the land of no rust. mine was shipped from oregon.
underneath even looks like its 6 months old.
--irv

looks like you have taken very good care of it
you probably have been on ths mn12 website
[tccoa.com]

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #28
Hhmmm ....I'm the only V-6 MN-12 on the forum that has a spoiler?

Awesome.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

1992 Thunderbird LX

Reply #29
Quote from: Scott D;356057
Hhmmm ....I'm the only V-6 MN-12 on the forum that has a spoiler?

Awesome.

Some people say the V6 IS the spoiler.:evilgrin:
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com