Skip to main content
Topic: GM Convert (Read 2433 times) previous topic - next topic

GM Convert

Hi guys, I have raced and played with gm stuff all my life. I was looking for a change so I sold my Chevy truck, got a Merc Mountaineer and found an 88 T-bird to play with. (I wanted something different than a mustang.) The T-bird is loaded. 5.0, 8.8 2.73 pos,(want more gear) quad shocks, power everything. The trans is bad so it's goin to the shop this week. I have a 89 roller motor to build but looking for some mods that I can do for now like exhaust,ect. Where do I start and what do you recommend? It has 14 wheels now but want to change that. What size tires and wheels fit and look the best on these? Thank for any help.

GM Convert

Reply #1
U sure thats an 8.8 under it?  Sounds more like a 7.5 with the gear in it which is what usually comes in 5.0 birds.  Any mustang 4 lug wheel will fit.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

GM Convert

Reply #2
Welcome ! pretty much any 4 lug mustang wheels will work , mustang headers H-pipe and true dual exhaust is always a good upgrade
Fox-less at the moment

GM Convert

Reply #3
Welcome Randy...along with the go you're going to put under the hood, you'd be wanting some whoa to go slow it down. The factory 10" brakes up front suck....if you can find some spindles, rotors and calipers from a 5.0 '87 93 Stang, that'll help some, or you can use the same parts from a TurboCoupe (identical, save for the ABS exciter ring).

Optionally, you can swap in the parts from a '94 or '95 Stang....I'd avoid the '96 up stuff as it has issues that affect bumpsteer and wheel width limitations, although some people have no steering issues.

I'd also bet the rear is a trac-lok (posi for the GM folks lol) 7.5, unless you know for sure it's been swapped. Again, the Mustang 8.8 will fit, but it's a little narrow...same thing goes...'94 and up Stang rears will fit better. You can also change the wheel placement by using wheels with more offset, etc.

oh, and pics. we need pics. lots of pics lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

GM Convert

Reply #4
Go here and read the tech section if you have not already: http://www.coolcats.net.

x2 on the brakes...I upgraded to Mustang 11" brakes and turbo coupe 8.8 with rear discs and there is no comparison in stopping power.  I agree you need more gear.  I had 2.73's (stock) and they were great for mileage but horrible for off the line acceleration.

You should look into 5 speed swaps instead of re-doing the AOD!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

GM Convert

Reply #5
What version of T-Bird is it? If it's a Sport, which it sounds like it is (VIN would start out 1FABP61) it may well have a factory 8.8, as there are some 88's out there that got the Cougar XR7's drum brake 88.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

GM Convert

Reply #6
Thanks for the info. The brake upgrade is on the to do list. lol. I took it to the shop today for the trans. and he is goin to put 3.73 gears in it while it's there. It is a 7.5, I was told 8.8 but that was wrong and you guys were right. I will post pics but not sure how to on this site yet. I do know where I can get a turbo coupe at cheap, it's an 86. Does it have the any parts I should change?

GM Convert

Reply #7
Quote from: randynten;355502
do know where I can get a turbo coupe at cheap, it's an 86. Does it have the any parts I should change?

Nahh, if you were gonna look for a TC for parts, '87 and '88 had the scooped hood, the smooth grille-less headerpanel, and the bigger brakes, 8.8 disc rear, and 16" wheels...

With that said, if the '86 is in fit enough shape to drive and I could afford it..I'd buy it, but not for parts, to drive.
'98 Explorer 5.0

GM Convert

Reply #8
Well I put a few pics in my album.  He has some 16" weld wheels that I may get from him, they are on a mustang now. Is the gt40 top end very good? He also has some headers, shorty and long tube. How much difference are they between the two?

GM Convert

Reply #9
Sweet 'bird. Get the welds for sure. I don't know about most, but I personally am NOT a fan of the stock 8-hole 14" wheels lol. GT40 top end is a popular upgrade here with the v8 guys, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) it won't do much good unless you've got an HO motor swapped in. But you said you've got a roller motor so slap it on there:cool:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

GM Convert

Reply #10
Quote from: sarjxxx;355670
Sweet 'bird. Get the welds for sure. I don't know about most, but I personally am NOT a fan of the stock 8-hole 14" wheels lol. GT40 top end is a popular upgrade here with the v8 guys, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) it won't do much good unless you've got an HO motor swapped in. But you said you've got a roller motor so slap it on there:cool:

all he would need is an HO cam to go with the GT40 top end, really the only difference other than forged parts.

GM Convert

Reply #11
Probably wouldn't hurt to have the HO pistons, or ones with valve reliefs...we all know the buck doesn't stop at an HO cam...lol

If I were you, I'd snap up the GT40 stuff.
'98 Explorer 5.0

GM Convert

Reply #12
Thanks guys. I got the wheels today. All 4 with very good tires, $400 and my 14" rims. These guys have alot of good stuff, I just have to buy as my wallet allows. lol.

GM Convert

Reply #13
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;355471
What version of T-Bird is it? If it's a Sport, which it sounds like it is (VIN would start out 1FABP61) it may well have a factory 8.8, as there are some 88's out there that got the Cougar XR7's drum brake 88.

yeah, thats the vin my new bird.

GM Convert

Reply #14
You guys are right, vin # starts with 1FABP61. So I guess it's a sport.  I get it back tomorrow with rebuilt trans, mild converter, 3.73's and weld wheels. I can't wait to drive it.