Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Valve Clearance (Read 1339 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Valve Clearance

To begin with, this will be checked, but until I get to it I wanted to see what some of you guys think that are familiar with the engine.

I have a '89 5.0 engine with stock pistons, a FMS B-303 cam which is .480 lift with 224 actual degrees with a set of "D8" heads that are pedestal mount with 1.94 int and 1.60 exh. valves. Now the car has been ran with the "B" cam and stock "E7's" that have the 1.78, 1.48 valves. Haven't installed the "D8" heads yet, curious if the new heads will have a clearance issue. Any thoughts?
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #1
H.O engine? If so, I'm betting yes, they'll be fine. But, as always, a PTV check is needed, but I'm betting a dollar it'll work fine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #2
Yes, HO. I'm thinking it would be Ok as well, but never want to take the risk on that lol.

Need to get that GT-40 installed too. :p
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #3
You can have the heads on and the intake in a very short amount of time. Pics as the progress happens would be nice.

I'm almost done with another GT40 intake. Gotta get it sold for funds to pay for my new wheel and front tires.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #4
D8 heads?  As in 1978?

Don't those have gigantic combustion chambers?  As in larger than E6 combustion chambers?  I hear they are rather restrictive on the exhaust side of things as well.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #5
Quote from: V8Demon;355530
D8 heads?  As in 1978?

Don't those have gigantic combustion chambers?  As in larger than E6 combustion chambers?  I hear they are rather restrictive on the exhaust side of things as well.

Yes, '78. The combustion chamber size is the same as the E7 and I think any combustion chamber is bigger than the E6. I have a set of those too and the valves are so shrouded I'm surprised they flow any air at all lol. The exhaust ports are also the same size as the E7's but the emissions bumps have been removed along with a little porting to open them up. The heads are from Aeroheadracing.com and are a pretty good deal on a budget. They have the 1.94, 1.60 valves with the 3 angle valve job, dual springs, bronze wall guides, surfaced and totally rebuilt for $450 a pair.

Quote from: vinnietbird;355394
You can have the heads on and the intake in a very short amount of time. Pics as the progress happens would be nice.

I'm almost done with another GT40 intake. Gotta get it sold for funds to pay for my new wheel and front tires.

What wheels are you going with?

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #6
From what I can ascertain:

E7 = 64 cc
E6 = 68 cc
d8 = 69cc

Those are in stock form of course.  I've had E7's and E6's next to one another to compare.  The e6 chamber is noticeably larger.  You're 100% correct on the shrouding on them.  The heads you have may have been milled.  Here's some reading for you.

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/archive/index.php/t-78208.html

Looks as though the Aerohead prepped versions will flow decently enough.  The price is good too.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #7
Cool! Good links.

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #8
I'm keeping the 17x9 and 17x10.5 10th Anniversary Cobra wheels on the Sport. I haven't found another wheel I like better, and as far as our cars go, they are different. I like to have the Sport a little unique. I ordered a new 17x9 wheel to use as a spare tire "just in case". I also ordered two new 255-40-17's for the front of the car. I'll take one of the current front tires and mount it to the new wheel and balance it for use as a spare. I'll have my GT-40 (my spare one) polished and finished today, then sold very soon after that I hope.

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #9
Yeah, those rims look good on the car! Polished GT-40's look good as well. I media blasted the upper intake I bought from you to have it powder coated, just not sure on color yet. Maybe a light silver or Ford blue on just the tubes or course and leaving everything else polished. I even hit that TB spacer with the polish and it looks like chrome now.

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #10
Nice. Pics when you can. Now, buy the one I have now so you can swap them out for a different look from time to time.LOL.

5.0 Valve Clearance

Reply #11
Here is the Business end of the head along with a comparison of the E7-D8.