Skip to main content
Topic: So my old 95 is for sale. (Read 2333 times) previous topic - next topic

So my old 95 is for sale.

The dealer I bought my Focus from is selling my old 95 T-bird LX. It looks great in the pictures, till you look at it in person and see the rotted out door bottoms. I wonder if they fixed the timing cover and motor mounts. The best part is they want $3995 for it. I got $1500 for it as a trade:hick:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=295044513&dealer_id=84103&car_year=1995&doors=&systime=&model=TBIRD&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=50&min_price=&drive=&rdm=1298604584896&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=565083&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=1997&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=60638&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=9&standard=false
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Is that all? Just the door bottoms? I thought it had a lot more rust issues. Or at least that's how you whined anyway :hick: I was trying to find some rusty POS back when I was looking for a DD. Figured then it's already unsavable, no worries if it rots away in the winter. Couldn't find anything like that, CL had one with a slightly damaged body but too many mechanical worries....and then the almost perfect one for $900, which I got LOL.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
The door bottoms are bad. The passenger door bottom between the door skin and frame is gone. When you shut the passenger door the bottom flaps:hick:. Oh and the rocker panels from the rear of the door to the wheel well are made of aluminum, fiberglass filler, and bondo. I know this because I made them;). Also I had to, uh, make the lower front edge of the driver's side door from aluminum and bondo because it rusted away. Yeah it has rust issues that are hidden by the pictures. In reality both doors and both rocker panels need to be replaced.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Those cars seem to be more pr0ne to rust than fox's.  My bro has a 96 T-bird and the quarters in front of the rear tires are very rusty along with the rockers.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
Mine isn't rusty at all....

That's kinda funny but at least they are reselling it. I went in to the dealership to look at F-150's last night and offered them my 96 as a trade and later on got talking about it and told me straight up that its only worth about 200 bucks at auction value:punchballs: I think I'll keep it lol
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
I'd offer them $500 for it
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #6
did you put the cupholders in it
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #7
Quote from: sarjxxx;353938
Mine isn't rusty at all....

Are you trying to rub in that you live in Florida?  lol...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #8
Quote from: sarjxxx;353968
did you put the cupholders in it

Yep. Pulled em out of a 97 T-bird. You also need the rear heater ductwork to make them fit.

Quote from: 50tbrd88;353977
Are you trying to rub in that you live in Florida?  lol...

Screw you and your lack of road salt :flip:.

Reply #9
Wow, I only gave $2200 for my '97 w/95,some odd thousand miles
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #10
I'll get some hatred for this, but it's all good.

I've driven several MN12 cars, and with the exception of a friend's '96 Cougar V8, all felt like the pieces of shiznit that they are/were/ever will be...

Sure, a Fox V6 is nothing much for comparison's sake, but at least they had a little more to offer in the styling department. I hate the slack Taurus-feel of the MN12 steering, and there's also the previously mentioned cancer concern.

The '97 Birds had the best styling, IMO, of the 89+ cars, and the supercoupe, while technically a marvel, looks as if some 19 year old Honda Civic reject kid took over.

But hey, there's one thing positive about the later Birds: at least they make my '88 cars look that much better. :hick::flip::rollin:

If I could find a nice, clean, cancer free '97 Bird that I could afford as a daily ride, yeah, I'd take it. But only a '97.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #11
you know a 96 is the exact same thing as a 97 except with more standard equipment on the 96 right? and as far as styling, NOTHING beats a 94-97 interior. I mean NOTHING.

Oh no I wasn't trying to rub in FL. The car came from PA originally....
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #12
I still like the Fox's better, as I still have mine ;).

Reply #13
oh no doubt the fox is more fun:D
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #14
I've owned both, and the this debate has been covered in many, many threads over the past 10 years.

After owning three Fox Cougars and one MN12, I can say that my MN12 is by far the most reliable of the four. I've put 60,000 very hard miles on this car and she's never laid down on me. The interior still looks great (even the dash and center console) and the paint is still deep and reflective. Of course, I take far better care of my paint than most people, but it's still a 15-year-old paint job.

Rust, yeah... that's an issue. My rockers are starting to go south, and I'm trying like hell to cease the growth on the bottom door skins. Outside of that, the frame and floor pans look nearly new. Figure that one out.

There are several people here who have had tremendously bad experiences with the MN12 vehicles (enter Carm), but my car must have been built on a day when morale was high at that assembly line in Lorain, OH. It doesn't squeak or rattle, it has no electronic glitches, and the panel gaps are dead-on; this is all after 110,000 hard miles, mind you. Original engine and transmission. I've been very happy with my MN12, even if the interior is too wide and it's difficult to work on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]