Skip to main content
Topic: Lets play "whats this wire?!" v.1987 5.0 (Read 2473 times) previous topic - next topic

Lets play "whats this wire?!" v.1987 5.0

Got my engine in, and started plugging things back in. See this little guy coming off the salt and pepper shakers. All orange i believe, didnt see a stripe. Didnt look like it was running down the harness further. I assume it was meant to come out, but was cut at some point. Looks like it wants to naturally go towards the TB area.

Any guesses?

87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #1
There are several wires in our harnesses that are basically dead end but what ive seen is they are typically black wires.

Ill look at this tomorrow for you in more detail.,,,, Ancient aliens is on now.

Reply #2
I believe that had a large ring terminal on it and went to one of the bell housing bolts(Ground). Hopefully someone else can reconfirm.

Reply #3
I dont know what´s this wire for but I know that I have the same wire and cut from same place too.

Reply #4
Was just told its a ground for the oxygen sensors.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #5
Yep that would be my guess
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #6
Yep.  Confirmed.  It's a ground.  Typlically grounded to a bellhousing bolt or to the back of driver's side head.  Same place the ground strap is fastened.

Reply #7
Interesting. Could this cause any problems? Mine is broke too.

Reply #8
There was discussion on here before about it,I couldn't find it though. You probably have the orange wire already grounded to the bell for the ox sensors. I grounded that wire to. But I believe the other end of it doesn't go anywhere.
Found the link.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?15808-Orange-wire&highlight=
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #9
I was never able to confirm this to be a ground, seems a pot of coffee tomorrow morning and something to do if the weather outside is bad.
the EVTM does not point out a name for the second connector which bothered be because the pass connector seems dedicated to the injectors while the driver one isnt defined.

Can you double confirm its color and even if you have to , with a mangnifying glass, verify there is no strip on the wire.
the pass connector is called C475 per the evtm link below page 59.
verify the colors in your connector are
(INJECTORS 1-8)
tan
white
brown/yellow
brown/light blue
tan/light blue
light green
tan/orange
light blue

(TAB solenoid)
white/light blue

If the above wires dont show up, then its the other connector which is C429.

how many terminals does this connector have and is it pass or driver side?

Reply #10
So we're deciding the wire needs to be grounded?

Reply #11
Not yet...

I think most people are confusing it with another wire. Each 02 wire set has an orange ground wire on the back of the head, but this is different. I traced it back to the White salt and pepper shaker. It leads here...

87 Thunderbird LX

Reply #12

***EDIT***

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ready to punch something. Took the white S&P apart. It leads nowhere. The other side is blank, and clean, never been anything attached to it.

Can anyone with a non cut wire say where it originally attaches??? Just out of curiosity?

Kitz, didnt want to bump this again. Thanks. I was just curious. Cant imagine we all had a wire hanging out of the harness like that from teh factory.  Just kind of wondering where it used to go... Im clipping mine regardless, just curious.
87 Thunderbird LX

Reply #13
like I said earlier there is no other end for it to go anywhere.It has no use. I grounded mine,till I found out it didn't go anywhere.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #14
I am going to modify the wiring layout with the white connector information.
Im not totally convinced yet that grounding it is even a good idea.

I can not find these two connector pin out diagrams in the shop manual, i did half ass look though for a half hour or so.
here is what i have so far to illustrate where the wires come from.

the white connector is a little more complicated to dospoogeent "from or upstream" and "to or down stream".

The orange wire is a little odd because its upstream connection branches several ways including the down stream.
to be continued just so we have something with a little more detail.
-------------------------------
edit
I have added more information, made a corrections and have pin9 remaining an open issue until the answer to the questions below is answered.
-Is pin 9, the "orange wire" a solid orange?
-Does this wire exist on the "engine harness" side or the "eec harness" side?

Additional information pertaining to the O2 sensor ground wire which is **NOT** pertaining in any way to the salt and pepper connectors.
The below pertains to the O2 harness  branches C314 for the 3.8 and C429 for the 5.0.
-The 5.0 O2 sensors physically have a parallel bonded ground wire by way of the Black/Light Green wire for the *5.0 only physically connected to the O2's.
-Additionally, the 5.0 has two wires included in the O2 sensor harness from EEC pins 44 & 49 but these are not labeled as O2 ref grounds like the 3.8 diagram. (see evtm page 56 (3.8) & 60 (5.0).
-By comparison, the 3.8 seems to get its O2 ref ground by way of EEC pins 44 & 49 individually although these ground are not physically connected to the O2's.

-It is not unreasonable to assume the 5.0L O2 ref ground is associated in some way to pins 44 and 49 and mirror some sort of firmware table similar to the 3.8L since both designs are very similar with respect to EEC controls or monitoring circuits.