Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 with a T5 (Read 3535 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 with a T5

Has anyone ever swapped a 3.8 SN95 T5 into a 3.8 cougar.  I assume it would bolt right up with the bellhousing and all.

Found a 3.8 cougar with a bad AOD and wondered if the 3.8 T5 would bolt right up?
Mike

3.8 with a T5

Reply #1
You should talk to Steve (sarjxxx)....I believe that was his initial plan.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

3.8 with a T5

Reply #2
Quote from: RunninWild;353737
You should talk to Steve (sarjxxx)....I believe that was his initial plan.

I bet he will see this and fess up.
Mike

3.8 with a T5

Reply #3
You should also talk to CougarSE as he has actually done it, but he is not super active on the forum right now.....maybe a search using his s/n might turn up something helpful
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

3.8 with a T5

Reply #4
same as a v-8 mustang, but because the 88-up 3.8 uses the neutrual balance flywheel, it is only known what flex plate to use for those years. Noone could find information for the 83-87 years on the flywheel imbalance.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

3.8 with a T5

Reply #5
there is a thread over at FEP with the info about the imbalance issue.
the only real issue is getting bolts to mate the proper flywheel to the crank.
the swap thread on this site has some differences as to how they went about it.
i forget what to type for that "search"  with the big magnifying glass emoticon...
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

3.8 with a T5

Reply #6
Here I am:D No I couldn't miss this:giggle:

[thread=6042]You should read this[/thread]

If the cougar you found happens to be an 88 your looking at the easiest thing ever. If its a 83-87, its unclear. 88 was an oddball year for many reasons, but in this case it makes things easier. If you have an 88 its just like doing it to a 5.0. You just gotta get the right trans.

I was gonna do it to mine but I decided not to for a number of reasons. Just a decision based on what I want out of this car. If I happen to pick up another 88 3.8 I'll probably do it for sure.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

3.8 with a T5

Reply #7
<---  In the house!

Quote from: Haystack;353751
same as a v-8 mustang, but because the 88-up 3.8 uses the neutrual balance flywheel, it is only known what flex plate to use for those years. Noone could find information for the 83-87 years on the flywheel imbalance.

Wrong, only the supercoupe used the zero balance flywheel, the 83-87 used 28oz and the 88+ used a 38oz.  But I could be wrong it was over 5 years ago now...

And to the O/P, I'm surprised you never heard of it as you have been around for some time as well.  It was easy and as far as I researched into it I only found out how to convert an 88 model.
One 88

3.8 with a T5

Reply #8
Well, according to your thread, you remembered right. Last I remember hearing about it, I thought it was decided to be 0 oz. That is my bad. I have been hanging out on mustang forums too much I guess.

Nice to see you here again claude. What's new with you? You didn't pull a shawn and get a firebird, did you?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

3.8 with a T5

Reply #9
Um, isn't putting a T-5 behind a 3.8 just going to accelerate the already imminent death on the 3.8?

3.8 with a T5

Reply #10
Quote from: jpc647;353901
Um, isn't putting a T-5 behind a 3.8 just going to accelerate the already imminent death on the 3.8?

Well of course but that's totally beside the point:flame:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

3.8 with a T5

Reply #11
The 280k mile 3.8 in my 88 ran fine when I parked the car, everything else just fell apart around it.  That was after using valve float as a shift indicator, still ran fine and might still if it hasn't locked up from sitting for a few years.
One 88

3.8 with a T5

Reply #12
Quote from: Haystack;353895
Nice to see you here again claude. What's new with you? You didn't pull a shawn and get a firebird, did you?

Yuck!  No firetirds for me.  I've been busy and with the lack of Cat Jam I've kind of lost interest.
One 88

3.8 with a T5

Reply #13
Quote from: jpc647;353901

The 88 are a little more powerful and the motor was continued in further years as well so its not actually a loner by itself in one year. 
it just so happened to be the last year of the two year bird style and for all intensive purposes, its a CFI base eec , thats why it says "fuel injected" on the intake.
For an 87 or down, i could almost agree.  I am partial to the CFI in a way though so i shouldnt talk.

ever seen a 4 barrel CFI on a v8?

and the inverse,, Ever seen a 1 barrel CFI? (gas mizer 2.5L gm)

3.8 with a T5

Reply #14
Quote from: CougarSE;353933
The 280k mile 3.8 in my 88 ran fine when I parked the car, everything else just fell apart around it.  That was after using valve float as a shift indicator, still ran fine and might still if it hasn't locked up from sitting for a few years.

You are one of the lucky few.