Skip to main content
Topic: My SN94/95 T5 adventure. (Read 3961 times) previous topic - next topic

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

If anyone is interested here are a few differences between a fox T5 and a SN94-95 T5. I found all of this out the hard way by buying a supposedly good (freshly rebuilt) fox T5 and bellhousing from a guy on Craigslist Mistake #1. I decided to have it looked at by a local shop figured better to have it checked out than put it in and find out that I got screwed. Well I GOT SCREWED second gear was gone and it needed a new set of syncros. So after much back and forth bitching with the guy I bought it from I came to the realization that he would not be helping me out. So I paid the trans shop to rebuild it.

After getting it back from the shop I got right to work swapping out the transmissions. Once I finished putting everything together the only thing I had left was hooking up and setting my clutch cable. Humm this looks like the cable is pulling at an angle. So I call the trans shop that rebuilt the trans and started asking questions. Come to find out there are several differences between a Fox T5 and an SN94/95 T5.

1.   Different input shaft lengths the Fox input shaft is 5/8” shorter that the SN thus
2.   Different bellhousings thus
3.   Different clutch forks.
4.            Different Starters the pecker head of the fox starter is bigger and will not fit into the SN Bell unless you have a good grinder and heavely grind all of the webbing on the pecker head since I had recently put in a new starter before swapping the trans I choose to modify the fox starter.
5.          I was also told that with the extra length of the clutch fork that I would not be able to run long tube headers with the SN Bellhousing luckely I am running shortie headers.

So I pull out the T5 again to check the input shaft and verify that it is in fact a SN T5 and the Bellhousing I have is also a SN bell. I just need the SN clutch fork so I order it, get it, put it in. Now everything lines up and is working great.

On a side note besides spending way to much on buying and rebuilding this T5 I am actually quite pleased with using the SN Trans With its longer input shaft and Bell the shifter actually sits back about an inch further and seems to be centered in the shifter hole a little better now.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #1
Well shoot, sounds like I got lucky, all I got was the wrong flywheel and a stiff-shifting trans. I'm glad you finally got it straightened out, what rear gears are you running? My combo of a 3.35 First gear and my 3.73's out back means I start in second!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #2
The flywheel is one of the things I did get out of this when I bought the trans the guy threw in a FMS Aluminum Flywheel. As far as what gear I have for first Im not sure but I do know that I have 3.73's in the rear I still do use 1st but its pretty short
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #3
Hope mine ends up being okay.

There is also an adaptar you can buy, more of a spacer so you can use the fox bell and clutch stuff.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #4
Quote from: bigbada1;353670
The flywheel is one of the things I did get out of this when I bought the trans the guy threw in a FMS Aluminum Flywheel. As far as what gear I have for first Im not sure but I do know that I have 3.73's in the rear I still do use 1st but its pretty short

Hmm, hard to tell if you have the 2.95 First or the 3.35 First gear. Nice flywheel, enjoy the stick!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #5
Bummer of a deal, but good that you came out on top though.

Quote from: bigbada1;353666
I decided to have it looked at by a local shop
Is that the guy on Cl that always has an ad for rebuilding T5's...I think his name is Dan...

If not, would you mind giving me a number to the place you use...I need to get my T5 worked over...it's all but impossible to shift in second...whether barely moving, or at road speeds....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #6
If you need a clutch fork for a SN let me know-I have one.

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;353678

There is also an adaptar you can buy, more of a spacer so you can use the fox bell and clutch stuff.

Where's the linkey, stinkey.
Mike

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #8
http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/cart.cgi?db=mddata.txt&category=Adapters&merchant=moderndriveline

bottom of the page.
$180
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #9
Ok everything is in and the transmission shifts great dam nice to have second gear again but now the speedo is off using an95 t5 with 373 rear which speedo gear do I need
87 TC

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #10
Quote from: bigbada1;355081
Ok everything is in and the transmission shifts great dam nice to have second gear again but now the speedo is off using an95 t5 with 373 rear which speedo gear do I need

I think a purple gear is the one you are looking for. It's as close as it gets for a Ford part.

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Ford_Speedometer_Gears.htm

I think the one I got was less than $3 at the dealership. It wasn't perfect, but my speedo was off 5mph before I did anything anyways.

here, use the calculator:)  http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #11
or just get a autometer speedo and calibrate it;)

Hey jrad I think part of you getting luckier with yours had to do with the 3.8 trans. Was your donor from a 5.0 or a 3.8 car? I ask because I'm thinking the combinations might be different and that's why he had so much trouble mating up the 5.0 pairs. When I was planning on the swap all I read pointed me to the fact that mine HAD to come from a 3.8 sn95 not a 5.0.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #12
Quote from: sarjxxx;355241
or just get a autometer speedo and calibrate it;)

Hey jrad I think part of you getting luckier with yours had to do with the 3.8 trans. Was your donor from a 5.0 or a 3.8 car? I ask because I'm thinking the combinations might be different and that's why he had so much trouble mating up the 5.0 pairs. When I was planning on the swap all I read pointed me to the fact that mine HAD to come from a 3.8 sn95 not a 5.0.

To my knowledge, all SN-95 T5's that are used with the "Small block Ford" pattern, otherwise known as the late Windsor pattern, used a longer input shaft to relocate the shifter inside of those cars. SN-95 being 94 and up mustangs. The speedo gear is reported to be an 8 Tooth starting somewhere between 90-93, meaning you can't get a cable gear for 3.73's from Ford.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm This is a pretty good read.
And I used Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns#Early_Windsor_V8_pattern For the bellhousing info.

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #13
mmm I see. I just was kinda throwing that out there cause I never heard of having issues with it with the 3.8 install.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

My SN94/95 T5 adventure.

Reply #14
Quote from: sarjxxx;355275
mmm I see. I just was kinda throwing that out there cause I never heard of having issues with it with the 3.8 install.

No, I'm pretty sure all his issues stemmed from a dishonest seller! It sucks, but sometimes it happens.