Skip to main content
Topic: underdrive pulleys? (Read 786 times) previous topic - next topic

underdrive pulleys?

first of all what do they do? do you gain hp? and do they work with all the stuff on my car (smog,A/C)? its a 87 tbird 5.0

underdrive pulleys?

Reply #1
Personally, I don't think they're worth the money unless you get them super cheap,and even then, I don't believe you can tell a difference. If someone installed them on your car, and never told you, I don't think you would pick up on it. They are pretty to look at if you get the aluminum, but the money could probably be better spent elsewhere.....my own opinion.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

underdrive pulleys?

Reply #2
+1

The engineers designed your accessories optimized to run at the rpms they run based on the stock pulley sizes. Those guys are pretty smart. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

underdrive pulleys?

Reply #3
ok thanks i was just wondering cuz i always hear about them didnt know if they were worth it or not. might take that money and buy a x pipe or something

underdrive pulleys?

Reply #4
If you're going from a 2.73 gear to a 4.10 you will see a difference due to the fact that your engine is turning more RPM and the parasitic losses increase. Under drive pulleys on 2.73s or 3.23s and you're asking for trouble with cooling, charging and A/C functions.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

underdrive pulleys?

Reply #5
i have a 8.8 with 3:31 gears

underdrive pulleys?

Reply #6
Quote from: 87tbird5.0;353754
i have a 8.8 with 3:31 gears

I'd pass.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing: