Skip to main content
Topic: TC to 5.0 = no spark? (Read 2122 times) previous topic - next topic

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

I have followed the swap threads and I have known good relays and a known good computer.  what am I missing?  need help badly I want this thing out of my garage :burnout::toilet::bowdown:

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #1
codes?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #2
never been able to pull codes. not really sure what I am looking for :(  I know I get power to the coil but I havent checked at the distributor, also might be the case that I have a bad ignition module but I am not sure on that.

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #3
did I ask a stupid question? I know its probably something stupid that I am overlooking and its really frustrating me :(  any advise?

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #4
I dont know what you did carbed EFI what computer, MSD?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #6
You've checked coil for 12 volts. Power to the computer set distributor at one and timings advanced to 18 degrees?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #7
Not trying to start just checking systems and preparing for start.  I will do some more testing tomorrow.

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #8
Need more details to help. This is a 5.0 to TC swap? Or the other way around?

Fill us in a little more and we'll be glad to help.

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #9
Quote from: 88turbo;352925
never been able to pull codes. not really sure what I am looking for :(  I know I get power to the coil but I havent checked at the distributor, also might be the c
case that I have a bad ignition module but I am not sure on that.

What do you mean "never been able to pull codes"?  You don't know how, or what?

Also, there is a way to check and see if you're getting communication between the ECU and the TFI, at least it's worked for me.  With the engine OFF and the key in RUN, have the dist hold down loose, and turn the dist a bit either way.  If things are working, you should hear a click and hear the FP prime when the Hall Effect vanes pass the sensor.  This is after the normal start-up prime.  If nothing happens, you're getting no signal from the dist/TFI at least.  You'll need to check and see of you're getting signal from the ECU to the TFI.

Does the FP prime when you first turn the key to run (as normal)?

You mention that you haven't tried to start it yet.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #10
I don't have a pump installed. Waiting for things to dry up so I can pull tank from other car.  And you are righti don't know how to pull codes.  Also turning the distributor should work if things are working properly. I will do some more checking and report back.

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #11
Quote from: flylear45;352986
Need more details to help. This is a 5.0 to TC swap? Or the other way around?

Fill us in a little more and we'll be glad to help.

Tc to 5.0 basic swap.

TC to 5.0 = no spark?

Reply #12
I found the elusive spark!!! turns out I have a bad distributor and the local yard just crushed all of their cars..... :(