Skip to main content
Topic: taking delivery on 3mar of 88 tbird sport car transport companies (Read 6432 times) previous topic - next topic

taking delivery on 3mar of 88 tbird sport car transport companies

I am in process of setting up the transaction for a bird.
I want to know of any transport companies that people here have used and things went well.
I am looking at 2k miles of transport and am willing to pay for quality of service but I have no basic idea of what an average cost would be or who to use.

any help would be appreciated.

Reply #1
Figure $1.50 to $2.00 per mile

FedEx & UPS are brokers for car hauling, so looking for Hot Shot companies may save you a few bucks. If you google for RV Transporters, some of those companies also offer hot shot trucking service (think dually pick 'em ups with 43' trailers). StarFleet Trucking is one example.

Another option would be to rent a u-haul and trailer it yourself. I looked into hauling two cars approximately 750 miles & it would have saved me about $100. Although I did talk to a driver from Cain's Auto Transport (Murray, KY) & those guys offered me a helluvah deal, too bad they wouldn't book the load as far out as it was going to be needed.

*edit - Since you're in WV, I would call Cain's ...they run through your neck of the woods several times a week.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #2
I used Thomas Sunday and all went well. There are several good transporters out there and you are doing the right thing by getting references. I believe Reliable Carriers has a good reputation too but I haven't used them.

I got a quote from a small local hauler and his price was higher due to just transporting my car from point A to point B. The bigger carriers will schedule several pickup and deliveries along the route which will save you money.

http://www.sundayautotransport.com/
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #3
by the end of this week I need to have decided on a carrier and schedule things with the seller, sounds easy enough though.

My company uses a fleet carrier which I can use thier rate to get a quote.  They are called Trinity , thats about all I know about them so far other than my brief converstation with our transport guru at work.

I still think when we are talking about 2k miles, flying out and time spent is like a no brainer to have someone else get the job vs my flying out and driving back.

Reply #4
$2 a mile????????????????????

Reply #5
Where are you picking this up from? Gotta be closer to me then you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Pick up is near salt lake city UT.

So,, today turned out to be a pretty expensive day.  Hopefully got funds transfered, got insurance scheduled, set up shipping, and to boot, the wife had me stop and look at a 2.0 Audi 1993 turbo, and.......had to buy a new box spring / matress set.

!!!!!!!

Reply #7
Man, you should have had me look at it for you. Is it that Thunderbird that was for sale by privateer? I work in salt lake, and we just shipped some work trucks from salt lake to Kentucky. I know its not right to you, but maybes could have worked out a deal with the boss to get it closer to you for cheaper.

Let me know if you need anything out here in Utah.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
Yup,, that be the car,, 800 in shipping...........so far.
Money transfer went well, I pretty much coordinated everything in 2 1/2 hours today lock stock and barrel.
He says the amp guage isnt quite right although the youtube walk around vid doesnt seem to show a problem. 
All in all, im happy.  oil needle seems a bit low so worse case Ill just change out the oil to 15w40, guage seems a little low but I dont know whats normal on the buttstuffog guages.

I am very very happy.

here is the vid,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Xkdl3_ohM

good props to Thunderchicken on the sequencial lights as well.  Privateer said he liked the quality and detail in the design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYSTiwMd3ZI

Reply #9
i spent 1100.00 to get my 96 cougar 2000 miles with united. they were one of the ebay
carriers. the only one who would bring it to my door[or within 1/4 mile] had to have a
large enough lot for an auto transport.

Reply #10
Try posting an offer @ http://www.autoexpeditor.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Overload! ...you might be able to get it shipped for less than full blown car carriers. Try it @ a buck twenty a mile and see where it goes.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #11
still no delivery set up

Reply #12
I just drove from salt lake to pittsburgh. Could have gotten it closer.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #13
,, that really sux
if you know your coming this way again,,pls call 304 772 3411

This whole car delivery thing is complicated,at least on the shippers end.

Reply #14
Company info:
Affordable Trans LLC  877-696-0003  (Mike Prestia)

Original quote was 800.00

revised quote is 1150.00

200.00 down per CC pmt then 850.00 cash / cashiers check to driver when he arrives.

Car was picked up on the 28 feb 11 at 5:30pm at seller location outside of Salt Lake City Utah.
Delivery should happen tomorrow.

So far not bad, no one would consider the trip for 800.00 and I still dont see why that was my problem but the price went up and suddenly there were bids on taking the job.
Live and learn i suppose, I figured it would be expensive.

I have the title changed, Insurance completed, tags done and a new plate for the car.