Skip to main content
Topic: Generall 88 turbocoupe ?'s (Read 1163 times) previous topic - next topic

Generall 88 turbocoupe ?'s

Ok I just did a V8 swap on my 88 TC, with the 88 tc radiator what shroud can I get and use? What does the computer thing on the passenger strut tower control? How much wiring can I get rid of from across the fire wall, Can I split the loom and roll back a bunch of that wire to fire wall where it comes from? Can I remove the factory computer and still have my fuel pump run? I'm trying mostly clean up under the hood.

Thanks,
Soul
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #1
the "computer thing" on the passenger strut tower would be the IRCM module which contains the relays for the fans, fuel pump, and a/c compressor.  the amount of wires you keep is upto you and how many options you want to keep, the remaining wires are for the ABS and ride control.  you will need to find a V8 engine harness and the harness that goes back to the fuel pump. hope this helps BTW this is "88turbo" reporting from Beau's screen name
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
I'm running a carb so I just assume to keep most of the 4 cyl stuff to make it work, the ride control, I heard if you removed under hood stuff it just stayed in firm mode, which is fine with me. My abs doesn't work any way, I noticed that the Relay under the hood the wire is chewed up, I didn't want to mess with the brakes but if I could remove that stuff and the electrohydrolic booster works minus abs I could live with that.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #3
I split the harness at a plug by the battery that went in front of the rad and some across the fire wall its been awhile. took a sawzall cut both harnesses at the pass side fire wall then pulled the front and rear seats. Removed all wires from the computer on the pass side kick panel to the trunk abs and ride control. ran a new wire to the fuel pump from a keyed source at the column.
  I went to the jyard an checked out all the fans that were supposed to be the cats Meow the Lincoln mark Viii and the Taurus and none would fit between my aluminum rad and water pump.I found a 99 cougar with a twin fan and shroud that fit mint and pulls a ton of air. With the T.C Radiator depending on your build you may get away with the single core rad and one of the fans i mentioned. But as I have stated in the past the way I did it caused me to loose the use of the speedometer the fuel and amp gauge still work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done