Skip to main content
Topic: Yellow viscous fluid in oil fill tube? (Read 4565 times) previous topic - next topic

Yellow viscous fluid in oil fill tube?

Engine is a 5.0 out of 87 t-bird. I checked my oil tonight after screwing around with the EGR system only to find this:
I vaguely remember someone else having this problem but I don't know the outcome. I searched, but I have no idea what this would be under.

But this doesn't look good. It goes from the plenum into that tube running to the oil fill neck, and stops there. Um...

Reply #1
Blow by in the clylinders would be my guess.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
do you make a lot of short trips or not let your car warm up completely, could be condensation making that.
that, or your head/intake manifold gaskets blown.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
I would guess it's condensation. If the oil in the pan is still normal, I wouldn't worry about it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
That is moisture.  Source: Condensation from alot of short trip driving(not getting the oil hot enought long enough) or coolant getting in there.
Mike

Reply #5
Quote from: mcb82gt;352593
That is moisture.  Source: Condensation from alot of short trip driving(not getting the oil hot enought long enough) or coolant getting in there.

+1

Like Chuck said, pull your dipstick and see what the oil in the pan looks like. May not be a big deal as cold as it's been up there.

Reply #6
Now it's only in the tube running from the plenum to the oil fill neck.

Reply #7
Quote from: mcb82gt;352593

I'm thinking coolant might have gotten in there. The hose that runs out the back of the upper plenum and down into the intake manifold I unplugged to replace the hole. So the antifreeze wouldn't leak I put my thumb over the hole. Could I have rerouted antifreeze in doing this?

And I'm wondering if this could be somehow related to my EGR valve problem.

Also, someone else had a problem like this a while back... I remember pictures. Anyone remember who it was? I searched, but I have no idea what they might have titled it. I searched for "Oil fill tube", "Yellow" "Oil line", got nothing.

Reply #8
Common problem to have the cap and filler coated with mayonnaise in the cold temps, if it does it in warm weather the PCV could plugged or maybe have a leaking head or intake gasket...

Reply #9
I had that on my Catera, turned out the intake gasket was boned.

Reply #10
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;352653
Common problem to have the cap and filler coated with mayonnaise in the cold temps, if it does it in warm weather the PCV could plugged or maybe have a leaking head or intake gasket...

Well I just replaced the intake gasket not too long ago. I checked the pcv valve, it looks okay. I can try pulling the screen out just to see, but it was just out a couple of months ago.

Quote from: 86XR7project;352665
I had that on my Catera, turned out the intake gasket was boned.
What the . Mine was just replaced, lol.

Reply #11
What it is, is entirely normal. I wouldn't fret it...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
drain your oil in a pan with a white trash bag covering it,, that way black doesnt  dominate the color of the oil and you can see better.

if you got the same looking stuff coming out the bottom, then your HG or intake gasket is jacked up.
If so you should be complaining about having to add coolant too often.

Reply #13
It is water emulsified with oil. Possibly an indication of a coolant leak, but just as likely condensation of normal combustion vapor. Are you losing coolant? If not, check the PCV system, particularly the rolled-up mesh separator stuffed into the hole in the lower intake manifold under the PCV grommet. It is at the back and hard to reach, and they like to plug up, causing insufficient purging of crankcase vapors. Pull it out and clean underneath it, then replace it or use solvent and air to clean it. Also make sure the nipple at the upper manifold is not carboned up and restricted. And if that doesn't fix it I won't charge you.

Reply #14
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;352698
What it is, is entirely normal. I wouldn't fret it...

Yup. My wife's car gets the same thing ...she does a lot of short trips, thus the milky looking stuff.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em