Skip to main content
Topic: cruise control not working (Read 1695 times) previous topic - next topic

cruise control not working

I just bought an 88 XR7, it has 58,000 mile on it and is in great shape, but... the cruise control doesnt work.  Anybody else run into this? I just got it home tonight so I havent looked into it yet, (maybe just the fuse?) I doubt it, Im not that lucky.  Any help would be great, also I'm in need of an argent cougar center cap for the Mustang turbine type wheel.  Thanks in advance.  Dan

Re: cruise control not working

Reply #1
I've seen two causes for this.  the most common is when the steering wheel contact rings disintigrate and you lose power to your wheel mounted controls.  If this is the case, good luck searching for a replacement.(try the want ads on this board)  The other happened to my '87.  The metal clip on the cruise control unit (located in the left wheelwell behind the tire, under the splash-shield) broke.  This is the clip that pulls on the secondary throttle cable that works your cruise.  I had to get a clip from a donor car.
 :canada:

Reply #2
mine stopped working cuz the computer went out. it also make my brake lights not work. I unplugged it so my brake lights would work, ever replace the computer tho (got an aftermarket wheel so even if the computer was replaced I wouldnt have cc)

Reply #3
I'm pretty sure that Grant makes Cruise control switches that mount to some of their wheels and work with the ford system.  I read about it in either Hotrod or Car Craft.  Here it is.  Just type "cruise control" into their search engine.
 :canada:

Reply #5
Might just be the switches on the wheel not making good contact.  Every couple or three years mine quits or goes intermittent, so I just whack the buttons real hard with my knuckle a few times, & they seem to get better for a while.

Reply #6
Mine didn't work because the clip on the throttle body was broken.  Fixed that and it works now.  But like both my old fords, The SE and an 87 ranger the coast feature doesn't work. You press it and instead of droping one mile an hour it gains one mile an hour.  I'm guessing the brain is going out on both of them.
One 88

Reply #7
Cruise control slip ring test

other associated possible faults are the horn relay or the fuse

test the slip rings..............
jack up the front end of your car (both wheels)
unplug the eec from pass kick panel (this allows the entire harness to be checked)
set meter to ohms
prob the harness for pins ..
50- feeder to all contacts normally open
39- ground side of all contacts normally open

rotate the steering wheel while you actuate the following switches for the
below ohm value. (+- 5%)

off    - 0 to 4 ohms
Resume-2200 ohms
Accel  -680  ohms
Coast  -120 ohms

if values fluxuate while steering is rotated, relub contacts with conductive compound,
observe wear marks and bend or tweek them as needed then retest.

***At the stearing column check only***
If you wish to just check the slip rings themselves,, locate connector C113
behind stearing column.
find a connector with the following colors
light blue/black- cruise feed , (same as eec pin 50)
black-   cruise ground (same as eec pin 39)
*****the 1987 evtm says the above wire is black but my 1987 suppliment manual
calls the above wire to be orange.
yellow/light green- horn

insert your ohm meter leads into the the light blue/black and the black wire
check for the same resistance values.  if values are much better or greatly improved,
your wiring harness to the eec has damage or above normal resistance.