Skip to main content
Topic: Power door lock inop (Read 1586 times) previous topic - next topic

Power door lock inop

Neither door lock seems to be working on my 88TC.  There is no power to either switch, but the keyless entry box clicks each time I put a test light on the switch. You suppose the whole unit is bad?  The keyless entry does not work either, but the box clicks each time you put in the numbers.
  On another note, I am putting in a different door lock switch and the one I pulled has 6 wires as opposed to ours having 3 wires.  It's from a lincoln MarkVII.  That switch has 1 blk, 1 green, 2 blk/pnk and 2 pink wires.  Do you think I could tie the 2 pinks and 2 pink/blk wire together, then tie the blk wires toggether and make it work.  Not sure what the green wire does...power maybe?  Should have took my original with me to compare....doh!

Power door lock inop

Reply #1
or go to the evtm in my linky,,
you have all the wiring you need in there, very little difference from 87 to 88

door lock circuit is not easy to read if your not good at wiring, however there is a dedicated thread to door lock switch problems in the diy link as well.

Power door lock inop

Reply #2
page 155

You need to attach your test light to one of the power wires going to the door lock solenoid and then Press lock or unlock to see if power delivery is making it out to the door lock solenoid.

Your previous troubleshooting step is not actually correct or the best way to go about it.

the power delivery to the solenoids is managed by the keyless system.

check the circuit breaker power feed to the keyless system

there are also two fuses leading to the keyless system.

verify the fuses and the circuit breaker.

Power door lock inop

Reply #3
awesome...thanks.  I didn't think you still had that EVTM link.

Power door lock inop

Reply #4
Well, I tried to read that EVTM and it's a bit blurry for me.  I checked the fuses and they are good.  The lights light up on the number panel and the trunk lock release is working...just not the door actuators.  I suspect a bad solenoid?  They are all clicking though so I don't know.

Power door lock inop

Reply #5
I took the keyless entry module apart and cleaned the solenoids.  I then hooked up the lock/unlock switch to each door and when I press the lock/unlock switch, it actuates the solenoids.  You reckon both door actuators could be bad?  Doesn't make sense that all the solenoids work. I actually watched them close/open and they seem strong?  I dunno, that thing looks WAY over my head.  You say there are 3 fuses to look for?  I found 2, one a 15 amp fuse and one a metal circuit breaker...did I miss one?

Power door lock inop

Reply #7
I am trying, but I cant make heads or tails of that for some reason.

Power door lock inop

Reply #8
The lock actuators are little electric motors. They run in one direction to push the actuator up and the other direction to pull it down. If you can get to the actuators to apply voltage directly , you can test to see if they are good. It will require two wires. one hot and one ground. By reversing the wires on the actuator contacts you will reverse the motor direction.
In the non-keyless entry diagram it is the circuit breaker in fuse position 12 the supplies the voltage for the actuators. It is not used for picking the relays. I am guessing it is the same for the keyless entry.
The door switches just put ground on either the lock or unlock inputs to the keyless entry module.