Skip to main content
Topic: Quick Hood question (Read 2421 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick Hood question

Alright well im thinking about buying myself a nice christmas present and it looks as though http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/8488tbird.htm have exactly what i was looking for and a great price..... but as to what the differences between bolt on, pin on, and lay-on.... idk what i should get. any input?

Quick Hood question

Reply #1
bolt on hoods bolt to your OEM hood hinges and use the stock hood latch, pin on uses 4 hood pins in each corner and the last time i checked, a lift off is just a pin on.. maybe it means something different these days

Quick Hood question

Reply #2
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;345998
bolt on hoods bolt to your OEM hood hinges and use the stock hood latch, pin on uses 4 hood pins in each corner and the last time i checked, a lift off is just a pin on.. maybe it means something different these days

Bolt on = stock hood hardware (latches & hinges)
Pin on = stock hinges, two pins in the front
Lift off = no stock hardware (four pins at the corners)
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Quick Hood question

Reply #3
all of my 'pin on's' in the past were really lift off's than..

Quick Hood question

Reply #4
i think id rather have lift-offs cuz that sounds way easier and cooler lol, and i have an excuse not to pop my hood for anyone in town. " no way im not going thru that much trouble and i dont have anywhere to lay the hood" haha... btw for fiberglass hood that seems like a dang good deal, you think?

Quick Hood question

Reply #5
gotta watch.. some fiberglass hoods are cheaply made and don't fit correctly

Quick Hood question

Reply #6
well i can handle that as long as its too big, if its too small i could mold my own but i hate fiberglass work, the last time i did it, it took me a week and i had to fiberglass the whole bottom of a cab of a 67 stang. i was afraid the dude was gunna fall through going down the road lol.

Quick Hood question

Reply #7
most of the lesser-known brand hoods i've had the displeasure to work with were too narrow(large gaps between the fenders and hood). 1 that a customer brought me wouldn't even bolt to the hood hinges because it shrunk so much when it was baked

Quick Hood question

Reply #8
I also just thought, when ever u buy a all-pin-on hood, where do u install the other two, the far outside or right at the cowl? This will be the second purchase in the list. So I'll have about two weeks the think this thru and do research on feedback.

Quick Hood question

Reply #9
Quote from: Whiteboy;346009
i think id rather have lift-offs cuz that sounds way easier and cooler lol, and i have an excuse not to pop my hood for anyone in town. " no way im not going thru that much trouble and i dont have anywhere to lay the hood" haha... btw for fiberglass hood that seems like a dang good deal, you think?

Just wait until it's your turn to need a jump start :punchballs::rollin:
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Quick Hood question

Reply #10
Quote from: Scott D;347141
Just wait until it's your turn to need a jump start :punchballs::rollin:

+1

If this isn't a dedicated track car it would be better to have hinges.  I'm a fan of keeping the latch too and then hood pins if necessary.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Quick Hood question

Reply #11
omg the cowl hoods are 5"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Hood question

Reply #12
For a 4 pin hood you can make brackets to attach the rear pins to.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Quick Hood question

Reply #13
That is the hood i am looking at 4-6 week wait time though
2015 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel

1986 Thunderbird Elan 302 Crate, x303 heads, e cam, 24lb injectors, gt40 intake, WC T-5, TC rear w/ 3.55 gears, CHP control arms,cobra r wheels.

Quick Hood question

Reply #14
I went for a 3" cowl hood on mine, it's plenty high enough. Plus it's street legal here in Pa. I also went with the one that uses the factory hinges and latch, I also got the finished underside so it'll look good at the car shows when it's up. Mine came from usbody.com, they also have another site, hoods.com. It took some work to get it to fit right but I guess it's better than some.