Skip to main content
Topic: oil return line issues (2.3t) (Read 850 times) previous topic - next topic

oil return line issues (2.3t)

here's the deal. i've finally got the motor running, but it's smoking quite a lot out of the exhaust. levi and i have it narrowed down to the oil return line. i used a rubber line just to get it running, but it's obviously not going to work. no matter how i route it, or how long i make it, i've still got a very slight uphill run. i know shannon has recently come out with a new return line that works with a stock set up, but mine is a bit different, and i don't think it'll work.

what i've got is a wh1c on a bob's 3rd gen center mount header. the problem i'm running in to is that there really isn't much difference at all in height between the outlet of the turbo, and the fitting in the block. the compressor housing of the turbo is kind of in the way of routing it in a way that i think it might work.

my question is this: has anyone, running this same set up, come across this problem and found a solution... aside from tapping the pan? if so, what fittings did you use, what type of line... etc.? do you have any pictures of said line?

thanks in advance for any help with this.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #1
This is what mine looks like on the TBird.

It took some tweaking to get some "fall" in the line.

Not familiar with your turbo.  It's bushed and not ball-bearings, right?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
it looks as if there's about an inch and a half difference in height between your drain and the fitting in the block.  on mine, it's  near at the same level.  it's hard to get any kind of downhill slop when it's directly across from the turbo drain.  this is frustrating.  i'm afraid i may just have to tap the pan.  i've just never done that, and i'm hesitant to give it a shot.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #3
I never really understood this problem with the TC's.  I thought that if there is oil pres up top then it stands to reason the oil presure should help push the oil back to the pan.

If it were me, I would be running a line to the pan since there are so many gadgets they make to do such a thing and get better down draft if thats the word to describe it best.