Skip to main content
Topic: Installed a factory looking cupholder in my tbird bezel (Read 2565 times) previous topic - next topic

Installed a factory looking cupholder in my tbird bezel

When I was searchin through the junkyard one day for parts I came across a taurus that had a cool looking cupholder and coin holder. Ended up grabbing 2 next time I went and for anyone that wants to do this be prepared to break stuff cause the Taurus dash doesnt come apart to well :confused:. With a little bit of cutting with the dremmel tool this is what I got. I think when I do my tbird interior project in my stang im gonna move the thermostat control to the top slot and put the cup/coin holder where the T-stat goes (now if you need the cupholder its gonna be in the way of the radio).

O and yes I know I cut a bit to much at the top but I think I can fix that

Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5:p
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
90 LX EL hatch = grey int. stock 5.0 auto
85 GT 1C hatch = parts car :(

Reply #1
Very nice.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #2
 good idea
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #3
I've seen those used a few times. One of Daminc's cars has one. I think his convertible. Did you try installing it behind the panel for a more "finished" look? Just curious. I had thought about using one,but didn't think it would hold a large cup (I was merely guessing). Good thinking using one of those. I love functional mods.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
I retrofit one of those into my SC.  I loved it till the day I sold it.  It used to be great for going across the toll bridge.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #5
I tried this in my car and there was not enough room behind the dash for the unit to fit  in the top spot , what did you do to make it fit? and do you have pictures?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #6
how did you get it in the top?  aren't there ducts up there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
Yep, these work great.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Thanks Guys :D

Quote from: vinnietbird;344768
I've seen those used a few times. One of Daminc's cars has one. I think his convertible. Did you try installing it behind the panel for a more "finished" look? Just curious. I had thought about using one,but didn't think it would hold a large cup (I was merely guessing). Good thinking using one of those. I love functional mods.

No and im not sure if it would look right with it on behind there. And it holds cans and small bottle but I just tried a 20oz pepsi and it wont fit (still better then nothin though lol). And yeah I like tryin to find stuff from other Fords that will fit like the tempo maplights that I put in my mustangs :D.

Quote from: hypostang;344775
I tried this in my car and there was not enough room behind the dash for the unit to fit  in the top spot , what did you do to make it fit? and do you have pictures?

I havent installed it in the dash this was just a shot with the bezel out. I figured on moving the thermostat unit up anyways but now I see I have no choice lol.
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.

Reply #9
O hey daminc how did you mount yours?

Reply #10
Quote from: jleews6;344793
O hey daminc how did you mount yours?

Ahhh, so you wish to know the secret to installing this so it looks factory......
Here's a better view of it.... You should have it figured out after seeing this pic.

ah , that reminds me...I never installed a lower plate in the bottom of the  console...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
O wow that looks much better I guess thats what i'll have to do now lol (even though this bezel is toast lol). Was it hard moving the thermostat controls? Im not sure if im gonna use buttstuffog controls like yours or the digital ones for my tbird interior project.

Reply #12
They were already moved when I got the car. I hear it's pretty simple though.. There's a write-up floating around somewhere...I think Eric did it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
Ok cool thanks :D.

Reply #14
Slightly off topic - can someone explain why the coin tray is above the drink tray?  It seems to me that they should be in opposite locations.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]