Skip to main content
Topic: compatibility issue with shortie v6 headers (Read 3346 times) previous topic - next topic

compatibility issue with shortie v6 headers

this seems odd:dunce::

This is the PS... DS fits wonderfully.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #1
I'm not to sure how I'm looking at it? If you turn the  would it work?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
do you know what pie-cutting is? if so, that's your best solution.. even if you cut and rotate the , your exhaust is going to be very close to the unibody.. meaning if the motor shakes at any given time, your exhaust is likely to start bouncing off the unibody and start driving you up the wall with all the banging

Reply #3
do you know what pie-cutting is? if so, that's your best solution.. even if you cut and rotate the , your exhaust is going to be very close to the unibody.. meaning if the motor shakes at any given time, your exhaust is likely to start bouncing off the unibody and start driving you up the wall with all the banging

Reply #4
Thats the ps looking up at it from the ground. Was the best shot i could get.

no I dont know what piecutting is. I was thinking at first of cutting the chassis bit i dont think structural integrity will allow me to do that.

If i can, i want to avoid modifying the header too. If i cant get tgese to fit reasonably then im just going to go with a set of LT's. I planned on them anyway, i just have had these lying around forever and decided to see if they would work.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
basically, you're cutting a piece out of the tube like you're cutting a piece of pie, in order to change the angle and weld it back together.. annnnnnd a paint tutorial.. lol

X

Reply #6
What were those headers originally made for? It could be that way because the engines in the Fox cars are offset closer to the passenger side for steering shaft clearance.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
factory mustang headers. I think it odd just because all headers for 3.8 are made for mustangs and I've read more than once, I think even on CoolCats that if you ditch the column shift you can use mustang headers....

Um, yeah. I figured that was what you meant. Nope, no modifying. I'll just run wide open till I can get my hands on a set of LT's.;)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #8
okay, Im having a brain fart... LTs?

Reply #9
Long tubes I assume.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #10
Yes...LT's being longtubes. I decided not to waste my money on LT's though since I'm going to be going with the turbo setup later on and I have no guarantee of them fitting anyway.

Today I received my 94-98 headers, the same ones as on the 96/97 3.8 Tbirds. These come with 2-1/2" collectors instead of the 1-5/8" collectors on the split port headers above. What's better, they fit like they're supposed too. I don't know why the split port headers are so weird, but they're all like that. These are far superior.  Also, they are nowhere near the steering shaft for anyone who was wondering. It looks like it in the picture but they do a great job of purposely dodging it.

Observe:

--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #11
Those headers look really nice.  They are Mustang ones?
Mike

Reply #12
I like them. One problem.......maybe you noticed....each one is missing a tube.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #13
94-98 mustang v6 headers. I did say that in my post lol.

Vincent, if they had another tube I don't think they would fit right:hick:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #14
I suppose so. LOL. I was comparing them to the ones on my car.LOL. I'm glad you got them. Every little bit to help the 3.8. Are you going to get a new cam? I wonder what the cam options are. What's next for the engine?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..