Skip to main content
Topic: Where is my oil ? (Read 1216 times) previous topic - next topic

Where is my oil ?

Today i finished the power steering issue and heck, its even softer than the F-150 and the Explorer. After that job, i did the reglamentary oil change (After a little trip to warm the engine). I have to quit the bolt of the Oil Pan, and presto, all the Oil went out. Only a bit get lost.
 I Put 4 Quarts ? (946ml X 4) of oil and the mark was on the Safe side. I have revised the old oil and i measure......1,2,3...3 1/4 cans only of the oil was there. I am worried if my engine is starting to burning oil. I am wondering if the rest was in the oil filter, but im not sure.....

And another little question. The cougar 3.8 needs 5 quarts, right ? may i add another quart to the engine ?

Thanks....

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Re: Where is my oil ?

Reply #1
And another little question. The cougar 3.8 needs 5 quarts, right ? may i add another quart to the engine ?

Did you put on a new oil filter when you did your oil change?  If so then that would be where your oil went.  Always try to put about a 1/2 quart of oil in a new filter right before you put it on.  It will help in lubrication upon engine startup causing less wear on moving parts. 

If you did indeed install a new filter then you should add the 5th quart of oil.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
No, did not change the Oil Filter. I guess it´s ok because it was changed the last time.....

well, that is better, thank you....

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #3
always change the oil filter when you change the oil.

thats like taking a shower and putting on dirty undershorts  :toilet:

Reply #4
always change the oil filter when you change the oil.

thats like taking a shower and putting on dirty undershorts

Exactly

Reply #5
I don't think I'd put more than 4 1/2 qts of oil in there, including the filter when you change it.  That will accelerate rear seal leaks.

Reply #6
I don't mean this to sound overly harsh, but there really is no excuse I can think of to not change the filter when changing the oil. I just changed oil today, and the prices were as such:

5 qt. bottle of Valvoline MaxLife 5w30: (4 qts. used) $8.79 (or $8.97.. I forget)
1 qt. bottle of Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 10w30: $4.44
1 SuperTech (Wal-Mart/Purolator) oil filter: $2.07

Total: $15.30 plus 7% tax

You could even add 94 cents for the new large funnel I picked up, if you wanted to.

I'm unemployed and have almost no money to my name at the moment.. and the difference between $13.23 and $15.30 isn't even worth it to me. The oil filter was getting changed, no question.

Even got a free air freshener with the 5 qt. jug. :p