Skip to main content
Topic: Use or Trash this fuel pump ??? (Read 980 times) previous topic - next topic

Use or Trash this fuel pump ???

The fuel pump died in my 1988 Cougar, and I have this Walbro 255lph unit lying around. I have never touched fuel pumps before and am wondering if I can fix this, or if it's gotta be trashed.

Advice? X
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #1
Looks like dumpster fodder to me ..sorry
 I suppose some epoxy or something might work but I would be afraid of a future failure
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
Dump it and get a new pump.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Quote from: hypostang;341297
Looks like dumpster fodder to me ..sorry
 I suppose some epoxy or something might work but I would be afraid of a future failure

Same here.I've seen epoxy you can get that's supposed to be able to handle fuels,but,that's a big chance to take and then have the piece fall off again when it's the worst possible time,especially with winter coming.If you are on a really strict budget,I've seen some 255 pumps on Ebay for about $50.00 shipped.Yes,they are made in China. But,they have a warranty,and the two local friends I have that bought them have had zero issues with them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
double post.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
I have the ebay 255 in my Cougar.  No problems so far.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #6
Thanks guys, I was pretty sure I had to dump it but I am so mad that I broke it...it sat 10 years waiting for the stock (60lph) pump to fail under the load of a 5.0HO and the Father time!
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #7
I know money is always a concern but I am not big on Chinese made parts especially when I have to drop a tank to replace it.  My Walbro 255 has been in the Coupe for over 8 years and still good to go.  A 255 is usually about $100 and a 155 is usually around $75.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Fuel-Pumps-And-Regulators

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #8
Walbro if i remember correctly, is made by bosch, as are most drop in replacements. Everyone else just ups the price after putting their name on it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com