Skip to main content
Topic: Fox Body Mustang Front End Parts for T-Bird? (Read 5020 times) previous topic - next topic

Fox Body Mustang Front End Parts for T-Bird?

I've been looking around and want to upgrade the front end of '83 5.0L Thunderbird like Mustang owners can but am unsure of what I can do. I was wondering if anyone here has used parts from Maximum Motor Sports (i.e. Sway Bar End Links, Caster/Camber Plates, etc.) Would a Strut Tower Brace for an '83 or so Mustang for instance fit on my T-Bird?

Reply #1
Read here, http://www.coolcats.net/tech/ , just replace cougar with tbird, then do some searches on here, then come back with questions.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
1 question still lingers though in my mind: what is the interchangeability between say an '83 TurboCoupe and an '83 5.0L T-Bird. The front ends are different, no?

Reply #3
Actually thanks a lot man that site is wicked...I know what I'm asking for at Christmas time now! But I am still curious about the above question still.

Reply #4
Quote from: Hutch;340901
1 question still lingers though in my mind: what is the interchangeability between say an '83 TurboCoupe and an '83 5.0L T-Bird. The front ends are different, no?

Nope. Identical.

Also, the STB's will fit.  The engine bay is the same as any other Fox-chassied car.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #5
I have an 87 cougar front end on my 87 bird. even the light sockets plugged right in. They are very much the same. The 86-87 front ends and fenders are slightly different, but I think that they would still bolt up. I have seen a couple of 87-88's with 83-86 front ends on them. I know the doors will swap.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
I have the MM CC plates on my 83 and they are specific to the T-Birds.  Sway bar was off of a Fox Mustang GT but it now has an ADDCO sway bar.  The end links will work but depending on the ride height you may have to shorten the spacer between the sway bar and the lower control arm.  The bolt may have to be  shorter as well which usually means getting two new bolts as the threads are pretty short on most end link kits.

The strut tower brace will fit with an injected motor but I am not sure if it will with a carbed motor.  The '85 Mustangs were carbed so the one for that setup may fit but I am not 100% sure.  Call MM and ask as they are pretty knowledgeable.

I have had all kinds of brake setups on the '83 as well as suspension so if you have any more questions use the search function first and if you cannot find the answer just ask!

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #7
nice car, very similar to mine in body

Reply #8
Quote from: Chuck W;340903
Nope. Identical.

Also, the STB's will fit.  The engine bay is the same as any other Fox-chassied car.

Nice car Chuck