Skip to main content
Topic: 88 bird "more power" questions (Read 2280 times) previous topic - next topic

88 bird "more power" questions

I was wondering if this item
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=SUM%2D329600&SearchType=Make&N=4294908331+4294907842+4294925005+4294840126+4294925232+4294839035&Nao=10&autoview=sku

Will fit on the 1988 ford thunderbird 5.0, and could I still retain the stock belt?

Also will 93 tbird 5.0 )2 sensors Fit the 88? I never installed them on my 93 and was wondering if they would fit this one.

ALso about Roller Rockers. Could I put 1.7 Roller rockers on? Or would there be clearance problems because the pistons arent valve reliefed.

ANy other 100$ Items I could put on this engine to give it just a little more boost in horsepower?

I also Understand that The 5.0 HO heads are a DIRECT bolt on for the 88 tbird? I wouldnt need longer pushrods, diff rocker arms etc? And could I use the 88tbird rocker arms for the 5.0 HO heads. And im pretty sure Ill need a gasket for the manifolds.

Re: 88 bird "more power" questions

Reply #1
Will fit on the 1988 ford thunderbird 5.0, and could I still retain the stock belt?

They will fit.  Keep in mind your water pump and alternator will spin slower so you may experience charging and/or cooling problems.  Some good thing to do while you do this would be an alternator upgrade ( 90 AMP or 130 AMP ) and a swap to a 180 degree thermostat.  As far as the belt that depends on the kit itself.  Some underdrive kits work with the stock belt depending on who makes them.  Others do not.  Call Summit.  They should know.
Also will 93 tbird 5.0 )2 sensors Fit the 88? I never installed them on my 93 and was wondering if they would fit this one.

They should fit.
ALso about Roller Rockers. Could I put 1.7 Roller rockers on? Or would there be clearance problems because the pistons arent valve reliefed.

These will fit, but you will need different valve covers.  The stamped steel valve covers that come with the Cougar/Tbird are not tall enough.  You can use the 5.0 HO aluminum covers, but will need to do some minor modification to the driver side one.  The oil baffle will have to be removed and you MIGHT have to grind down the area where that bolts up to.
And could I use the 88tbird rocker arms for the 5.0 HO heads. And im pretty sure Ill need a gasket for the manifolds.

Yes  and  Yes
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=PRO%2D66913&SearchType=Make&N=4294908331+4294907842+4294925005+4294840126+4294839887+4294877961&autoview=sku

those rockers will fit? And they wont even hit the piston, even though they are not valve cut?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&Ntt=valve+covers&N=4294919746+4294839018+4294908395+4294903401&Nao=20&part=MOR%2D68201&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch
and those valve covers will fit the 1.7 rollers, and still clear thinks like intake and other things?

Reply #3
dude the best way to make some more power is the BBK aluminum underdrive pulleykit, 180 degree thermostat, freeflowing exhaust, a HO upper intake, cold air kit, FPR, MSD ignition, oh yeah if i were you dude id get the Trickflow roller rockers

Reply #4
Whats the difference between BBK and all the other pullies.

exhaust is  just a cat and a dump.

A HO upper intake would be nice. Ports all match?

Reply #5
BBK pullies are cheaper and lighter ;)

go with stock mustang shorty headers a h-pipe and lers of your choice

i believe all ports match its just that the HO upper is ALOT less restrictive  your car will be able to gain a min of maybe 30 extra dont quote me on that

Reply #6
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack
your car will be able to gain a min of maybe 30 extra dont quote me on that

More like 10% of that figure.... Its the SO throttle body and EGR spacer that are the real restrictions.

Reply #7
So how much of an improvement, conservatively speaking, is the HO upper/EGR/TB swap?

Reply #8
Quote from: Bird351
So how much of an improvement, conservatively speaking, is the HO upper/EGR/TB swap?

On a otherwise stock SO, maybe 5 hp. Included wth a good dual exaust system probably 10-15.

But if they were installed on a HO, they would probably choke out 30-35 hp.

Reply #9
dude the best way to make some more power is the BBK aluminum underdrive pulleykit, 180 degree thermostat, freeflowing exhaust, a HO upper intake, cold air kit, FPR, MSD ignition, oh yeah if i were you dude id get the Trickflow roller rockers

is it just me or did you turn a 180 and suddenly wake up one day as a guru of all that is good in high performance? :bowdown:

Reply #10
Quote from: jcassity
is it just me or did you turn a 180 and suddenly wake up one day as a guru of all that is good in high performance? :bowdown:

[sarcasim] [/sarcasim]?

nah, ive just been listening  :deal:  ;) but i still cant guess horsepower gains  :D and when talking about making more power....my entire family is/was in the racing scene i know my way around an engine but i still ask some of the dumbest questions ;)

Reply #11
SO i would need the HO UPPER,manifold, throttle body, and you say EGR.

The EGR valve was screwed onto my manifold on my 93bird. So the mouting place was already there. SO I am a bit confused on that. Ebay doesnt help right now cause they are SLOW.

Other than that the vacuum lines all hook up? TV cable, throttle cable etc all hook up easy as cake?

Reply #12
those rockers will fit? And they wont even hit the piston, even though they are not valve cut?

Yes.  As far as the valve covers you have listed I'm not sure.  Most that are listed as "tall" are too tall for the upper intake manifold.  That's why I suggested finding a set of the cast aluminum type from a 5.0 HO
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Just a Regular 5.0HO? Or would I need the 5.0 cobra?

Reply #14
[sarcasim] [/sarcasim]?

no,, just bragging on you a little :D