Skip to main content
Topic: Need help with my garage transformation!!!!!!!! (Read 2989 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help with my garage transformation!!!!!!!!

Hey, guys I was  planning on redoing my garage lay out to get all my shiznit organized.(I know 10 gal of shiznit in a 5 gal bucket) What kind of ideas do you have I am will ing to remove shelves and what ever else might give me more room. I will be building a shed to put my quads in so that will give me 19 ft. by 5 ft. but mainly I want to make the garage to not look and feel so cluttered.
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #1
some more
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #2
oh yeah and where's waldo???
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #3
IMHO the first improvement and the greatest would be to remove the grossly oversized chebby bow tie!                  J/k  :D

I just want to have a garage next to my house again!  :(
...and there was light!

Reply #4
I figured that would be the first thing lol. but it's like a man curtain hiding my . hehehe
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #5
I'd be interested in knowing why there is a ring gear hanging from the trac lights.

Reply #6
it my old gear and I don't want to toss it, actually it is handing from a chain that use to hold my other light
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #7
I want a Garage. :(

And that Hooters Application isn't very functional way up there. :rollin:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #8
I know I was going to put it on a pulley but never got around to doing that, great first project idea, by the way my wife bought that for me, so far her s have been the only ones to fill out the application. hehehe
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #9
Start by determining what you NEED in your garage. Then either toss or sell the rest. I'm bad about not throwing things out thinking I might need it some day. Then it usually sits and moved around several times. Should've thrown it out to start with.

Reply #10
Quote from: Romeo2k;339324
I want a Garage. :(

And that Hooters Application isn't very functional way up there. :rollin:

I want a garage too! And that Hooters application sign is hysterical!

Reply #11
Quote from: Thunderhawk;339327
Start by determining what you NEED in your garage. Then either toss or sell the rest. I'm bad about not throwing things out thinking I might need it some day. Then it usually sits and moved around several times. Should've thrown it out to start with.

i would say I use atleast 95% of the stuff in the garage I use or it would be in the garbage or the attic. I think when I get the shed I will have a lot more room to deal with. come on guys I need some ideas, I want to do this before it snows................:screwy:
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #12
my idea = garage sale
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #13
Quote from: 347Thunder;339276
but mainly I want to make the garage to not look and feel so cluttered.

Simple things like all the stickers and numerous posters make a room feel more busy/"cluttered" than it normally would. Easiest way to make a place seem roomier, even if it's small, is to get rid of anything that is not functional in any way and perhaps add mirrors to the walls (from craigslist, swap meets, or wherever for cheap/free) to give it the illusion of being more open. Functionally though, the walls are good for hanging things or placing organized storage drawers/shelves in front of/on.

Start at one side and just ask yourself - when will I use this again, why do I have this, should I have this here, etc. Work your way around to the opposite wall and you'll have a good plan for cleaning things up a bit.

Nicer and more consistent cabinetry also helps. Materials can be gathered for cheap or free that can be stored outdoors until you feel like building something - if you wish to.

It's still cleaner and more functional for projects than a lot of garages I see. I don't think I'd feel like anything's roomy enough unless at least 600 square feet - I hope I can find something over 700 (24x30) in the near future as I've already too many things and plans to fit into a normal 20x20 to 24x24 garage. 1000 square feet would be able to house anything I could think of wanting to do in a residential environment (plus separate shed for lawn/gardening), but I digress. Unless you upgrade to larger spaces, you can't get too many hobbies or skills - otherwise you won't have anywhere to store all the new toys that these utilize.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #14
First, join garagejournal.com.  The forums are unreal, from budget makeovers to super-high-dollar builds and everything in between.  If you can't find good ideas there, they can't be found.

Here are some pictures of my last garage.  It went bye bye in my divorce, but it was worth it, trust me...

Those tall Craftsman cabinets were really nice.  They are not real deep so they don't take up too much floor space, but they hold a lot of shiznit.  When you close the doors, everything looks neat and clean.

I did the floor in the front of the garage with U-Coat-It epoxy.  It reflected light really well, was tough as hell and cleaned up perfectly...

In the back, I did the floor in tiles from floorjunkies.com.  The stuff looks like Racedeck but costs less than $2.00 a square foot.  The quality was pretty good.  It held up really well, but you can't weld on it...ask me how I know...

The lower cabinets were scavenged from a dumpster at a medical research facility. I painted them red to match my Craftsman stuff.  Again, you can hide a lot of clutter in there.  The upper cabinets came from Ikea...

For counter tops, I used epoxy tops like we had in chemistry lab in high school - indestructible...

A few other things to think about...  You could build a little compressor shed and move the compressor outside,  Not only will you gain floor space, it'll also cut way down on the noise...Air hose reels and extension cord winders are very convenient to use and will clean up some clutter...Flat screen tvs are cheap now and take up far less room than tube tvs.  I got mine with a built in dvd.  It was great for watching instructional videos while I was actually working on something...the banners and stuff are cool, but they make things feel more cluttered than they actually are.

A couple more gratuitous shots.  Hope I've given you some ideas you can use.