Skip to main content
Topic: BAD oil leak this morning (Read 943 times) previous topic - next topic

BAD oil leak this morning

OMG, I barely made it to work today. The oil pressure dropped to 15psi.  I know i have a good leak going from 2 days before, but nothing this bad. I put 2 quarts in and barely made it 2 miles before the psi started going below 20psi.  I thought it was a rear main,  cuz the oil is dripping of the rear of the motor.  I found fresh oil coming from the inlet oil line to the turbo, so I HOPE it's a bad line somewhere and not the main seal. That's a tton of oil to lose that quick.  Otherwise it runs fine. I will have a look on my lunch hour I guess.

Reply #1
Had a look at lunch, and it looks like the oil pressure sender sprung a leak.  Thats kinda weird though, aint it?

Reply #2
Keep looking. I'd be willing to bet, from prior experience, it's you oil feed line to the turbo, that threads into the oil pressure manifold from underneath.
If you're still using the factory hardline, they're known to crack right there. That's where mine cracked. Started out slow for a few days, until it finally completely came apart. It also starves teh turbo for oil when it happens.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #3
thanx...I have a replacement.  This car is all stock so I will check it out.  It is coated w/oil in that area and I see fresh oil coming from where the sender screws into the adapter.  I will drop some oil in it after work and crank it up quickly.

Reply #4
I really hope it's just your sending unit.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

Reply #5
I cranked it up and the line seems broke in two! Holy , it was pouring out.  I gotta do some parking lot maintenence after work.

Reply #6
Been there, done that. Took the proper steps to keep it from ever happening again.

Reply #7
what's that? Flexible line? Can you make your own?

Reply #8
Yes, I used a premade 1/4" hydrualic hose and fittings to make a replacement. Works like a champ.

Reply #9
I used a -4AN braided hose, with some reusable fittings and a couple adapters.  All fine here.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #10
The line was fine so it has to be the sending unit.  It would spin around like the bolt was stripped out.  Ran out of time so will hit it again tomorrow.