Skip to main content
Topic: Help Can't Figure Out this Electrical Issue (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Can't Figure Out this Electrical Issue

The Charging System warning light (AMP Light on Dash) had been coming on intermittently on my '83 5.0L Bird for a couple of months. Last weekend it was on, then later on wouldn't start. A jump got it started and so I replaced my alternator and charged my battery. I've started it a couple of times now and the "AMP" Light is still on. So: do I need to reset something after having replaced the Alternator or does anybody have any ideas on what I should check next. If the latter applies how do I go about checking said device.

Reply #1
not sure what these cars had for an alt, so i'll give my idea(s) for both internal and external voltage regulators..

if it's internal, it's probably the py pigtail connector.. they're known for going bad

if it's external, it may be the regulator itself or the charging wire going from the alt to the solenoid.. i've had both problems with my bronco.. it's also possible(but not likely) that the regulator got stuck 'closed', as if it were sensing a fully charged battery, thus stopping the alternator from charging

Reply #2
I replaced the regulator and so far so good so hopefully its fixed