Skip to main content
Topic: Take it apart and put it back together for no reason!!! (Read 12464 times) previous topic - next topic

Take it apart and put it back together for no reason!!!

Just kidding folks. But at a perfect time for a major swap/swaps, nothing of the kind is taking place. I have begun tearing down the nose of the red car for the purpose of patching some rot I found in the subframe just above the spring bucket on the driver's side. Everything has to come out, K-member included of course. While Im at it, I'll scrub the living hell out of the entire bay and touch up a few spots that just have surface rust. And, the same goes for the engine. Whole thing will be cleaned up. I want to open the hood and see something as close to, say, thunderjet's car as possible LOL.

So rest assured that I'll probably be freaking out once I get the remaining stickers from 50resto that need to be replaced (fan shroud, maybe the A/C one), as I did when I got the one for the airbox :rollin:

Tranny is out, low oil sending unit has to be removed and then the engine is ready! Probably borrowing my friend's motor crane this weekend. He's actually the individual that will be fabricating and welding in the frame patch as well. I saved some pics from Jerry's thread awhile back of when he did his subframe just in case they might come in handy.

Something else sure to get you laughing: this summer on craigslist I found a Snap-On ACT-3000 R-12 machine, with 17 lbs of R-12 included for $300. And it's even got a perfect user guide and VHS TRAINING VIDEO!!!! :hick: And a week later found a guy asking $70 for 3 12-oz cans of it and a hose to hook it up. Brough $50 cash with me lol. Guy took it! SO...yup I think I might have enough to charge the system. Cross your fingers....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
You want it to look like this?

Just a tip. While you have the inner fender liners off paint the outside of the strut towers. It makes the wheel well look better;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
You are an ass. I hate you. DIE DIE DIE DIE :flame: lol
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #3
if there was such a thing as too clean, that would be a prime example hahahah

Reply #4
Oh man, the drool nearly escaped my mouth that time looking at your photos thunderjet.  Maybe sometime get my cat looking like that.

Reply #5
Quote from: thunderjet302;337154
you want it to look like this?

just a tip. While you have the inner fender liners off paint the outside of the strut towers. It makes the wheel well look better;)

drool drool drool!

Reply #6
Quote from: ZondaC12;337156
You are an ass. I hate you. DIE DIE DIE DIE :flame: lol

I'm trying to inspire you to clean the Cougar up;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Oh dont't worry I'm not skimping on anything I wanna be proud when I flip the hood up....

UPDATE TIME!!!!! yay!!

Today got the K-member out. Broken off bottom coil on the passenger side, naturally lol. This is it. Everything's exposed now. Just a matter of when Kevin The Bodyman (very original unique sounding superhero name I know!!! :hick:) can cmon down and we'll get the frame done. Passenger side I'm not sure about. I should take pictures of the bolts. Wow. All four shock tower bolts were rusted away almost 1/4 of their thickness. :mad: Sometimes I feel like I want to burn this thing. I know we've all been there. But then I remember Jerry's car and I roll my eyes and think how unreasonable I'm being LOL. Still just angering to think about. The passenger side rail looks great but I can feel with my finger the one bolt tube inside is crumbling apart. :rolleyes: I guess we'll cut that side apart too. Maybe just from the inside of the rail to inspect it or something. Either way, once the metalwork is done it's cleaning cleaning and more cleaning. Can't wait to be there!

Reply #8
I gotta do the same with my convertible GT and im soooo not looking forward to that. Good luck with yours though and thunderjet your engine bay is B-E-A-uuuuutiful lol.
Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5:p
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
90 LX EL hatch = grey int. stock 5.0 auto
85 GT 1C hatch = parts car :(

Reply #9
California=awesome :D

That's not that bad. I've seen much, much worse. It's a simple, easy fix.

Reply #10
Recent progress....

Here's a picture of random cleaned-up parts LOL. I'd show the painted sway bar but that's wrapped in tissue paper as well like the front fender. :D

I have the pass. side splash apr0n out, and have to get the fuel lines out of the way and the brake hose mount, etc so that rail is open to access as well, then I just have to say the word and the subframe on both sides can be fixed. Just got a nice set of GT40's today, probably sending out my intake to TMoss tomorrow. So pretty soon the top end will be swapped once again, with blockoff plates all over *everything* so I can degrease and sandblast the block outside. Then it will be ready to just drop in.

It's funny as this was supposed to be a fall/winter project but I'm trying to get more done before it gets really cold because my mom won't allow me to buy a  propane or kero heater for the garage. (I think I've bitched about this before? :rollin:) It seems like as time goes on I get less and less tolerant of the cold. I dread working out there once again in just over 50 degrees with ice-cold tools in my hands. Maybe if I land the job I'm waiting to hear back on, I might "bust outta this joint". But that's another story for another day.

Reply #11

That master cylinder is pretty gnarly lookin :flame:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #12
Quote from: sarjxxx;340618
That master cylinder is pretty gnarly lookin :flame:

Yeah the master is stained by something that simple green won't take off. ;)

Zonda are those GT40s going to work with stock SO pistons? I think you might be clsoe to hitting a valve....

Reply #13

Just a tip. While you have the inner fender liners off paint the outside of the strut towers. It makes the wheel well look better;)

You didn't smooth out the mold line on your intake... It keeps Vinnie from getting a good night sleep...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
Jerry isn't joking. I WILL stay up late worrying about the mold line.I'm already freaking out.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..