Skip to main content
Topic: Where the !@#$%& does this hose go?!? (Read 1145 times) previous topic - next topic

Where the !@#$%& does this hose go?!?

Well I finally bought the 84 parts car I've been planning since March. Plans are to drive it over the winter...well 30 hours into it, now it can start and run but there's a bad stumble just off idle and I suspect a vacuum leak from where ever this goes. Trouble is I can't find the source. Pulled all the loom off, nothing. I'm going crazy.

Here she sit after sing all the loose paint off the lower section and primering. The previous owner had put duct tape over any rust spots and then put about an 1/8 inch thick coat of latex paint over the entire body below the trim!!!
79 Monte Carlo Landau--350/TH350 2K stall, 7.5 posi/3.73's...built with other people's "junk"
87 Thunderbird LX--3.8/AOD: stock DD:down and out with a blown motor (sucky esshag engines)
69 Impala 4dr Hardtop--327/glide: stock, parked and left for dead
84 Thunderbird LX--new project: donating it's engine to the 87 and then getting a v8 of a different kind???

Reply #1
Looks like your engine ground is disconnected too :)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Quote from: CoogarXR;336832
Looks like your engine ground is disconnected too :)

Yeah, let's not talk about that for now. :) Wiring is all FUBAR on this thing too.
79 Monte Carlo Landau--350/TH350 2K stall, 7.5 posi/3.73's...built with other people's "junk"
87 Thunderbird LX--3.8/AOD: stock DD:down and out with a blown motor (sucky esshag engines)
84 Thunderbird LX--new project: donating it's engine to the 87 and then getting a v8 of a different kind???

Reply #3
Quote from: 87BlueBird;336831
The previous owner had put duct tape over any rust spots and then put about an 1/8 inch thick coat of latex paint over the entire body below the trim!!!

hahahah.. whaaaaat.. why do people touch things they know nothing about? :wtf:

Reply #4
where is the underhood hose diagram on your car, is it on the radiator shroud still?
the hose has a red stripe on it so look for the one with the red stripe on the diagram.
i cannot for the life of me remember if that one is the one that goes into a "T" on the firewall.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #5
Quote from: Ductape91;336858
where is the underhood hose diagram on your car, is it on the radiator shroud still?
the hose has a red stripe on it so look for the one with the red stripe on the diagram.
i cannot for the life of me remember if that one is the one that goes into a "T" on the firewall.

I don't think it's legible anymore due to being grimed up. Do you or anyone have a photo of the diagram that you could post?

Reply #6
There's a T fitting right behind the air cleaner.  That's where it goes.  Once you fix that it will idle smooth if that's the only bad line.  There's a big one under the air cleaner too on the back of the CFI that goes to the PCV that is usually cracked bad.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #7
Quote from: 87BlueBird;336909
I don't think it's legible anymore due to being grimed up. Do you or anyone have a photo of the diagram that you could post?

sadly i dont, if i did i wouldve just posted it for ya but im sure someone here does though.

Quote from: tbirdsps;336912
There's a big one under the air cleaner too on the back of the CFI that goes to the PCV that is usually cracked bad.

thats the one that gives a really high idle and is loud enough to here when your under the hood while its running :P
inspect that one while your there too its likely cracked/bloated and sealing poorly.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #8
Well, I had one of the techs at my work scratching his head over trying to find the "T" that this broke out of. I just about give up. I did some exhaust work today, the cat on the driverside was clogged so I dropped the Y-pipe and um, "cleaned" them out-wink wink. Tomorrow the brakes/lines/hoses are getting looked over and replaced as necessary. Tie rods still have some life in them. Haven't checked the ball joints yet. Still gotta do a full tune up; cap/rotor, plugs/wires. Some sheetmetal and rivets to temporarily patch the non existent pass side lower 1/4 panel and she should be ready for winter beater duty. Still gotta get keys made too being I got no door/trunk keys! :shakehead
  On a side note all the factory speakers are in working condition. I'm fairly surprised. Rears are getting replaced with Pioneers though and a small 200w amp is getting added. Gotta have tunes ya know :D

Reply #9
FWIW, I pulled the wheels today and much to my surprise the drums/shoes, rotors/pads are like brand new. I greased up the adjusters and caliper slide bolts. Wheel cylinders show no signs of leaks. Front hoses are getting replaced though, as they have a couple of small cracks starting. Exhaust is fixed now too. I pulled out the drivers side tail light - there was a hole busted in right near the plate light. Well it turns out all the pieces were inside the housing so they're getting super glued back in for now. :D This things come a long way in just a week. Gonna get down to business this Saturday and figure out these vacuum lines once and for all. BTW, I checked the pcv line, it's in good shape. Thanks for all the help/suggestions so far. Like I said I'm a complete noob with this ford stuff so I appreciate all the help I can get.

Reply #10
Quote from: 87BlueBird;337380
FWIW

:dunno:

Reply #11
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;337394
:dunno:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/FWIW
http://www.abbreviations.com/FWIW
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com