Skip to main content
Topic: How to figure out where your T-bird or Cougar came from (Read 1612 times) previous topic - next topic

How to figure out where your T-bird or Cougar came from

This is just a fyi for people who are interested in the history of their cars. To find out the area where your T-bird/Cougar was originally delivered/sold you need to find the DSO (domestic special order) code. It is on the indentification plate on the driver's side door jamb.
Here's a list of the codes:

District Code in which the vehicle was delivered (USA)

11 - Boston
13 - New York
15 - Newark
16 - Philadelphia
17 - Washington, DC
21 - Atlanta
22 - Charlotte
24 - Jacksonville
25 - Richmond
27 - Cincinnati
28 - Louisville
32 - Cleveland
33 - Detroit
34 - Indianapolis
35 - Lansing
37 - Buffalo
38 - Pittsburg
41 - Chicago
42 - Fargo
43 - Milwaukee
44 - Twin Cities
45 - Davenport
51 - Denver
52 - Des Moines
53 - Kansas City
54 - Omaha
55 - St Louis
61 - Dallas
62 - Houston
63 - Memphis
64 - New Orleans
65 - Oklahoma City
71 - Los Angeles
72 - San Jose
73 - Salt Lake City
74 - Seattle
75 - Phoenix
81 - Ford of Canada
83 - U.S. Government
84 - Home Office Reserve

Ford of Canada District Codes

Mercury Regions
A1 - Central
A2 - Eastern
A3 - Atlantic
A4 - Midwestern
A6 - Western
A7 - Pacific
H3 - Government
I1 thru I7 - Export

Ford Regions
B1 - Central
B2 - Eastern
B3 - Atlantic
B4 - Midwestern
B6 - Western
B7 - Pacific
H3 - Government
I1 thru I7 - Export

My 88 T-bird has a DSO code of 71 for Los Angeles, which makes sense as the car was originally sold in Santa Monica. It's a long way from home now;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Thanks for posting this

Jacksonville on my car, which is understandable as the original owner lived in FLA with the car till 2007.
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
Mine was originally sold in Trona, Ca. at Van Dyck Ford-Isuzu (now defunct) so I'm sure I have a 71 code.  I'll try and remember to check.  I literally bought it from a little old lady that bought it new.

FYI, Trona is where the Trona Pinnicles are.  The site of some filming of Star Trek 5 and the new Planet of the Apes and a new TV show that I can't remember what it is among others.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #3
The 'underbird was sent to the Memphis DSO. Makes sense considering it was originally sold at Jenkins & Wynn in Clarksville, TN.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #4
WOW code 15 on  the cougar! Its a looooong way from home. That really surprising considering its rust-free.

The 96 just says RC 47 though?

This is really cool. Thanks for that list. I have always wondered where my car was originally from.

...Now if I could just figured out how many people have owned it....
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
Thanks a lot.I'll check that out after I finish my cs tomorrow.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
Seeing how my car still has the original owners protecto plate in the owners manual, I've always known where it came from.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #7
Mine was new in Louisville.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #8
Neat!  I will check when I get home.  My aunt lives in Louisiana and bought my car new but it seems I remember her telling me they had to find the car a couple of states away.

EDIT:  My DSO is 26.  I scanned several times but don't see 26 on that list.  What's the deal?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #9
84 Shop Manual DSO's:

Reply #10
Quote from: softtouch;336559
84 Shop Manual DSO's:

OK well I guess that makes sense...26 is New Orleans (assuming 84 and 88 DSO's are the same).  My aunt who was the orig owner lives in Baton Rouge, LA.  However, I am certain she told me that she had to go to Mississippi or somewhere to find the car because she wanted grey but not with w red interior.

Its kinda neat my car came from the big easy.:D
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #11
oddly enough mine came from jacksonville fl. but i was told it came fron nc.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #12
Mine is 71 :D it´s a really really long way for now. I checked and its 5700 miles with aircraft.

Reply #13
Im pretty interested to check mine. I bought it from a guy in the military who bought it in puppiesan, and shipped it back with him.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.