Skip to main content
Topic: Let the work begin (Read 1093 times) previous topic - next topic

Let the work begin

My 86 tbird was a no sale.  It was never considered for s so the work will begin this weekend.  Most will be little nagging little things like:

1. the slow to return to idle issue.  Rough idle (could be motor mounts) on the 3.8. 
2. Heater core
3. A/C hp hose
4. General servicing
5. Rear shocks
6. Headliner and visor replacement
7. Right PDL fix
8. Radio replacement
8. Carpet shampoo
9. Rear seat tear repair
10.  Tires
11. Detail and paint under the hood.  Very ugly under there.

Some of the above will take place concurrent with body prep for paint.  I haven't made up my mind yet but it may get a white over black TC style paint.

So, it may be a while before pictures are added to this thread but they indeed will be added.

The countdown is 5 months to the next Fabulous Fords Forever show in April.  Will need emissions test, registration and insurance too.

How she looks now:  Don't be fooled the paint is really bad.  Clear coat is peeling pretty bad on the roof and left rear quarter panel.
X
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Let the work begin

Reply #1
nice project, but I am failing to see how you figure the rough idle is because of bad motor mounts...  :confused:  try a tune up, and IF your motor is rocking...  yes you have bad mounts, but they arent causing slow to return to idle or the rough idle issue...

Let the work begin

Reply #2
Motor mounts are fine.  It was just a thought.  The engine is now running smooth.  This weekend I pulled the CFI and removed the huge build up of carbon in the EGR plate and the balls of carbon below the base plate and made new gaskets.  I reinstalled everything and it ran smooth.  I apparently had a bit of a vacuum leak.  Since the engine still did not return to idle when warm fast enough I also installed my spare idle control motor and not it runs great. 

I also removed most of the window trim.  Boy was the rear glass trim full of dirt.  It has been parked for close to a year and we do have out blowing dust and dirt occasionally but it really surprised me how much was there.

Here's evidence of all that dirt. Luckily there's no rust through:
X

I'm still undecided on color but that's a ways off yet.  I still have plenty to do including replacing the heater core and general servicing to be done.  There is an oil leak that drips about a 4" puddle over night.  I could simply be the valve cover gaskets.  I cleaned up under the hood too which wasn't too bad.  I had to evict several spiders and get the bushel of pine needles out of everywhere including under the lower windshield trim and rear quarter window trim.  The good news is zero rust anywhere except for that rear window and around the battery but nothing damaging.  The big thing to me is the window belt moldings are toast and are $211 at Steele and the window tracks are still very functional but cannot be removed as they are now plastic vice rubber.  I have no idea where to get those.

I'm thinking this paint job would look good: It was on ebay last week.

X
Armed Forces Car Club

Let the work begin

Reply #3
That list of things to do really isn't that bad.One at a time til you're done.I remember when my list was literally two p[ages long,two columns per page. Holy . I almost overwhelmed myself.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Let the work begin

Reply #4
Getting the visors and interior coutesy light in the mail,  a good friend in Winnepeg, Manitoba, Canada noticed I needed them and grabbed them from his favorite JY.

Color matched too.  What a great friend.  I sent him some things over a year ago for free and now the deed is being paid back.  The internet is a great thing for car enthusiasts.:bowdown:

I love trading stuff.
Armed Forces Car Club

Let the work begin

Reply #5
The interior is all but stripped now.  Only the steering column and dash are still in.  It's so nice finding the clean factory finish on the floors.  Not a speck of rust and the wiring looks like it's one day old.

I did finally figure out the passenger door lock problem.  The solenoid is disconnected from whatever it connects to thus the chatter noise when operating.  I was surprised that the C pillar thunderbirds were actually bolted on.  Luckily I did not try to pry them off.  The carpet cleaned up nice but it's really too faded on front hump.  I only found 39 cents.  Dang it, I was hoping for at least a $20 bill.:D

The other day I found a MK VII donor for the window track seals.  I'm hoping for good belt weatherstripping and maybe the seats too.  It's on the top of another car so I couldn't get a good look.  The window tracks are nice and soft so I'm hopefull.  I'd like to have the dash too but I'm afraid that the electrical would kick my butt.

I'm almost ready for the sandpaper.....
Armed Forces Car Club