Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Intake question (Read 1456 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Intake question

Not having to do with my own car, this is just something that has been bugging me.

Occasionally at the JY's, I come across 5.0 cars other than foxes, and the intakes are mounted so that the TB opens to the DS rather than the PS like ours. This seems to be factory, and I was just wondering if you guys knew what the difference between the two engines is.

Is it just a different intake, or is it literally the same one mounted in reverse, or is it a whole different engine type? Can these motors be used in our cars?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

5.0 Intake question

Reply #1
Same intake rotated 180*, AFAIK all driver side installs are SO engines...

The '94-'95 Stangs and '91-'93 Bird/Coug used a different upper intake with a curve that mounted the throttle body at a 45* angle...

5.0 Intake question

Reply #2
basically, fuel rail, and engine brakets are the only real thing different. The 302 trucks have a much wider lower intake, similar to the systemmax lowers.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

5.0 Intake question

Reply #3
huh, so what your saying is one of you guys could just take your intake off and mount it backwards if you wanted too?

And by that, what you are also saying is that one of those engines is totally capable of being pulled and thrown into one of our cars simply be turning the intake around? (or by rerouting the air cleaner to be on that side)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

5.0 Intake question

Reply #4
Quote from: sarjxxx;334874
huh, so what your saying is one of you guys could just take your intake off and mount it backwards if you wanted too?

And by that, what you are also saying is that one of those engines is totally capable of being pulled and thrown into one of our cars simply be turning the intake around? (or by rerouting the air cleaner to be on that side)

Sorta , there would be some modification to make it happen , for instance the throttle body would not work if you just flipped the upper intake around .
But yes it can be done :D
Fox-less at the moment

5.0 Intake question

Reply #5
AAHHH, but so there is nothing different about the lower intake? So an Explorer upper and TB would work with it?
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

5.0 Intake question

Reply #6
Quote from: sarjxxx;334881
AAHHH, but so there is nothing different about the lower intake? So an Explorer upper and TB would work with it?

Umm no, the Explorer upper needs an Explorer or GT40 lower.
Fox-less at the moment

5.0 Intake question

Reply #7
Explorer intake is different. Look at intake gaskets for a a while, and you'll know what we mean. The 91-93 cougars/birds had the 5.0 H.O. All they had to do was have an elbow at the end for the throttle body. I guess it doesn't clear the strut tower. Hence the upper intake on the 91-93 cat/bird and 94/95 mustang.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

5.0 Intake question

Reply #9
Trucks, crown vics, and contentials were the only ones that were driver. Pretty much, our cars were the only ones that had an S.O., but remained on the passenger side. Excluding some S.O. mark7's. I have heard alot of speculation as to why, but pretty much everything points to either they wanted to use the H.O. in our cars as well, or that it was also a fox chassis, and they could use the same throttle cable if they didn't change anything. The lower intake manifold, for all but gt-40, and some 302 trucks, is the same pattern, and it is reversible. On the drivers side setup, the fuel rail will need to be changed to use it on the passenger side.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

5.0 Intake question

Reply #10
cool beans man thx
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

5.0 Intake question

Reply #11
Throttle linkage is different as well......
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 Intake question

Reply #12
some 302/5.0 have oval runners( pass cars) the trucks got a retangle runner (trucks/SUV)

the uppers will not swap back and forth.
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow