Skip to main content
Topic: Illuminated Lock cylinders......In Black perhaps? (Read 1865 times) previous topic - next topic

Illuminated Lock cylinders......In Black perhaps?

In my never-ending quest to remove all exterior chrome from my car(save for ONE new emblem :evilgrin: ), I have come to one last part that I require some assistance with......

The car has illuminated door lock cylinders.  My goal is to keep a set of the same type on the car.  I have new handles and a black trunk lock cylinder all ready to go, I have the issue solved with my keyless entry as well, however I am at a crossroad with the door cylinders.  I was planning on painting the cylinder covers a satin black to match the rest of the un-chromed pieces and the hood scoops.  It dawned on me at work that the regular lock cylinders came in black, but what about the illuminated type?

Perhaps a usable substitute from another ford vehicle?

Perusing the coolcats parts listing gives no part # that I could find for the illuminated locks so I'm in the dark......Any help would be appreciated. ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
Yep, they were available on 1987-88 Turbo Coupes and at least the 1988 Thunderbird Sport (not sure about a 1987 Sport). I don't have the part numbers for illuminated locks.

They'd be the same finish as the smoked trunk lock cylinder that you have. The problem is, obviously you'd need to get the lock cylinders re-keyed to your ignition lock. Or have your ignition lock rekeyed to the lock cylinders, whichever.

Reply #2
I have a set from my old LTD LX that I sped, for some reason I was thinking they might be black... They are buried in my garage right now, but if I come across them I'll let you know :mullet:
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #3
Thanks Eric ;)

Coogar XR, 86-88 door lock cylinders were different from the earlier versions which I would guess is what the LTD's would be.

For reference click here:  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=14758&highlight=cylinder

If they are indeed the type I need; PM me ;)
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Paul, almost forgot...those darker locks were on the 1987 20th Anniversary Cougar also:

"Black greenhouse moldings, door handles, lock cylinders and antenna"

Reply #5
And Mark VII LSC SE FROM 90-92
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #6
Add 88 XR-7's with the illuminated entry system

Reply #7
Seems like I took some apart once, the outer part (either chrome or smoked) was held on by little tabs that bent over the illuminated piece.

Just can't remember if it was on my white car, or some other vehicle all together...

I don't know how feasible it would be swap those, since bending the tabs a few times would cause metal fatigue, etc.

Just a thought though.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #8
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;334850
Seems like I took some apart once, the outer part (either chrome or smoked) was held on by little tabs that bent over the illuminated piece.

Just can't remember if it was on my white car, or some other vehicle all together...

I don't know how feasible it would be swap those, since bending the tabs a few times would cause metal fatigue, etc.

Just a thought though.

I would just paint the bright housings black and be done with it.

I have a set of these illuminated locks thinking I might use them, but then I realized what would be the point since I installed remote keyless entry.

Reply #9

Exactly why I want a set of factory black.

Reply #10
This is an off topic question in a way but when do the lights come on? Might have to use these for my tbird/mustang project but im not sure yet.
Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5:p
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
90 LX EL hatch = grey int. stock 5.0 auto
85 GT 1C hatch = parts car :(

Reply #11
Pretty much anytime you pull the door handle or type on the number pad on the keyless entry.

Reply #12
Ok thanks last time my parents had one I was around 9 YO (our mark VII) so its been awhile..................holy  thats almost 11 years :D.
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.

Reply #13
O hey another question were the trunk locks lighted too?

Reply #14
Quote from: jleews6;335112
O hey another question were the trunk locks lighted too?

nope :D
Fox-less at the moment