Skip to main content
Topic: Getting door skins off? (Read 1572 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting door skins off?

Alright, I've done this before on other cars but not this one. My 87 thunderbird has all the power options and all that fun stuff. I have the skin unhooked completely, but the midsection won't come off and I can't get the door handle linkage to unhinge at this current point. What am I doing wrong here?
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350
87 Thunderbird Sport - 302 (351 going in)/AOD

Getting door skins off?

Reply #1
Do you mean the door panel on the inside? You need to remove the one screw that holds the little triangle interior mirror cover (small black triangle shaped cover at the front of the window in the door)There is a screw at the lower front corner,a few plastic clips,a screw under each of the little rubber "plugs (square shaped) in the door pull,two screws in the door handle cups,and one screw that goes straight into the door behind the interior door handle.It also holds the arm rest to the door panel and door.

That is for the standard door panel.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Getting door skins off?

Reply #2
The door skin would be located on the outside of the car, and you would also have to take the door handle off to remove it. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Getting door skins off?

Reply #3
Hellooooooooooooo.........................
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Getting door skins off?

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;334677
Hellooooooooooooo.........................

My post didn't go through for some reason.. anyways - yes I meant the plastic panel covering the insides of the door. I've got everything undone except for something hung in the center which I assume is the lock arm and I just haven't figured out how to unhinge it is my guess. + when you say BEHIND you mean that giant screw uptop near the glass? That's the only one I didn't take out yet, and I had assumed that was for something else.
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350

Getting door skins off?

Reply #5
Right behind the door handle,going straight through towards the center of the door is a long screw that holds the arm rest on,and the panel. There are only two screws at the "top" of the panel,and they are under little square "plugs" that are screw covers at each end of the door pull. Once they are removed,along with the others I mentioned in the above post, the door panel can be pulled towards the front of the car to clear the door handle,then off.Be sure to unplug the door lock harness from the door so you can set the panel out of the way.

The only screw near the glass that I can think of (and I JUST had my door panels off replacing my exterior door handles) is the one at the front,the mirror cover (interior0. Did you remove the door handle cups? That's the little plastic cover under the door handle inside.It has two small screws that go straight down,under the handle. Once they are removed,you can se the longer screw behind it that holds the center of the door in place.

Getting door skins off?

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;334703
Right behind the door handle,going straight through towards the center of the door is a long screw that holds the arm rest on,and the panel. There are only two screws at the "top" of the panel,and they are under little square "plugs" that are screw covers at each end of the door pull. Once they are removed,along with the others I mentioned in the above post, the door panel can be pulled towards the front of the car to clear the door handle,then off.Be sure to unplug the door lock harness from the door so you can set the panel out of the way.

The only screw near the glass that I can think of (and I JUST had my door panels off replacing my exterior door handles) is the one at the front,the mirror cover (interior0. Did you remove the door handle cups? That's the little plastic cover under the door handle inside.It has two small screws that go straight down,under the handle. Once they are removed,you can se the longer screw behind it that holds the center of the door in place.

I'll look for it. if I can't find it I'll take a pic and maybe you can draw on it and repost it if I can't figure it out for some reason. I know this is simple and I'm just not seeing it/overlooking it.
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350

Getting door skins off?

Reply #7
Got it. I ended up getting both windows out, but it wasn't trouble free because I definitely skipped a step. How do you pull off the window seal trim? I'm assuming it clips on there real good somehow but I am not sure exactly how.
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350

Getting door skins off?

Reply #8
Does this help any?
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=20802
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Getting door skins off?

Reply #9
Quote from: daminc;334735
Does this help any?
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=20802

I have these cookies next to me. I would give you one, but I have full intent on eating all of them. ;) Awesome find, thank you.
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350