Skip to main content
Topic: Crazy Swap Attempt (Read 1542 times) previous topic - next topic

Crazy Swap Attempt

So, I own a 1988 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Fully Loaded - NON HO 302 all factory. Already had the lower end built 10k ago, used forged-dished pistons and bored 15-20 over.

This is my question---

I have a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII - Bill Blass ED - Donor Car with 140,000 original. Car has all kinds of features I would love to incorporate into my CAT.

I know the HO Swap is first and I got everything figured for the engine parts swap, and I am wanting to transplant the non HO parts back to the Lincoln, leaving the E-7 Heads in place.

SO, heres the tricky part, has anyone ever tried putting the 5 Lug, four wheel disk ABS Brake system into the 88 Cougar? Looks like a direct bolt in but I hesitate on the ABS part and the E-Brake Cables.

I want the ABS for Colorado Winter Driving, but is it a stand alone unit that can be transplanted?

SECOND: I am wanting to also transplant the full Air Bag Suspension System (Still Works Great in the Lincoln) over to the CAT and drop the sensors to drop my cars profile (Sits too high)...

In looking under both cars this seems as if it could work, keeping in mind that I am also transplanting all the Cougar Parts over to the Lincoln.

LAST: Is the Dash TRIP-E/Milage-Clock-Date-Time-Dist-Dest- Distance to empty and so forth computer something that can also be transfered, I mean is it stand alone. This I doubt, but was a question...

SO, In conclusion, this 88 Cougar XR7 could/would have the best of both worlds if this is possible.

In the end I am hoping to have the following:

1988 Mercury Cougar XR7 (have)
275hp - 300hp 302 (5.0 HO)
"Monster Transmissions" Rebuilt AOD W/ Kevlar Bands, heavy duty bearings, and shift upgrade (have)
BBK Shorty Unequal Length Headers - hi flow cats - X Pipe - Dynomax VT lers - 2 1/2" Exhaust
Cobra Intake - 65mm Throttle Body - Cold Air Kit - Accel Ignition - E303 Cam - 1.7 Rockers
8.8" Trac loc Lincoln Disk Brake Rear end W/ ABS and Air Bag Suspension and XR7 4 Shock Suspension - Lowered (have)
11" Front disk Brakes With ABS and Air Bag Suspension - Lowered (have)
Factory Sun Roof - Spoiler - Cruise - Tilt - Air - Full Power Seats W/Lombar and Knee Supports - Power antenna (have)
Already added Seat heater units Front and Rear (have)
Complete Audiobahn remote 8 Speaker system 10" Subs on 800 watt Amp - 6X9 Decks on 400 Watt Amp - pillar tweeters (have) XM Satellite Radio
Turbo Coupe Hood - Auto Electric trunk Closing unit from Lincoln - Headlight Units From lincoln W/Auto Dim unit on mirror
Heated power Side Mirrors - From Lincoln - Still Need to find 120 MPH Speedo (mine maxes at 80+)
Looking at 18" Custom Wheels and Directional tires for Summer, 17" Alloy Mustang Wheels for Winter
Having the Entire Car Re-Painted in a Balck Noir Pearl Base-Clear Cote 2010 Hyundai color (go figure)

SO: Guys any thoughts, am I aiming too high or do you think this can become reality

Crazy Swap Attempt

Reply #1
The suspension:
If you want to lower, just get some Mach 1 or Bullit springs...swapping the air ride will be no doubt a VERY hands on and troublesome affair.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Crazy Swap Attempt

Reply #2
I know that would be the easiest thing to do to lower my Cat but I have a very firm ride right now, almost too firm, rough, and the Lincoln rides sooooo smooth. I am really not building my Cat for cornering so much, it's more for show and go so it would just be another creative feature for the car and with creative thinking I might be able to make the air ride suspension adjustable so that when parked it would sit over the tires and when running would lift itself off of the tires. Mabey I am reaching too far but being a metal fabricator and auto mechanic for over 12 years it intrigue's me. Unique ?

What I am really asking is if anyone has ever attempted this and/or the ABS four wheel disk swap. I know that Cool Cats website has parts interchange information regarding the rear axle and front rotor swaps, but it is lacking info on the ABS and Lower Control Arm swap and there's nothing anywhere else on the internet.

Oh, and I am trying to figure out if the ECM from the Lincoln has any connection to the AIR Ride and ABS systems for the Swap.

Crazy Swap Attempt

Reply #3
You're really working yourself into a corner using the brakes and suspension from the Mk7.

If you're wanting air ride, it would be more worth your while to look into something more modern and current.  I'm sure there are kits available for Mustangs, which would easily be used.

Also, that ABS system wasn't all that great, and there are better options for braking with the 94-04 parts.

I know you'd like to use what you have, but in my opinion you're travelling down a dead end street.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Crazy Swap Attempt

Reply #4
Yeah, probably right, I'll do the Engine thing first and look into other alternatives before attempting anything so wild, besides, I dont have the hours to devote to intensive labor projects that dont net extreme results. So the Disk Brake thing I do want to do which requires swapping out axles but I think I will leave the ABS unconnected in the Lincoln and put the drums in it and attempt to re-sell the car for cheap. Kinda gonna look weird an 88 Mark VII with four bolt wheels