Skip to main content
Topic: um..... (Read 1184 times) previous topic - next topic

um.....

my car wont start in the cold...  this is the second in a weeks time that my car wont start when its cold. Last night, wouldnt start. we tried compression starting, rolling it backwards trying to start it. we were at it for 20 minutes. This morning, started right up first try... why wont it start in the cold?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

um.....

Reply #1
does it crank? is it just dead?
Are you sure it's the cold, and not coincidence?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

um.....

Reply #2
its cranks over fine, it just doesnt fire up.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

um.....

Reply #3
I would run the codes first. Then check the resistance range of the temp sensor on the motor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

um.....

Reply #4
arlright. last winter it started up fine everytime

um.....

Reply #5
could be condensation related with the temp change getting colder. could be a bad battery connection, ground connection, etc
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

um.....

Reply #6
when you were tryin to start it when cold... what was missing? fuel or spark?
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

um.....

Reply #7
when i was starting it, there was spark. it didnt sound like it was missing. i retarded my timing hoping that would work but it didnt. the battery is 5 months old red top optima.

um.....

Reply #8
How's the fuel pressure? Maybe the pump isn't working as it should.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

um.....

Reply #9
idk what the fuel pressure is. im getting a fuel pressure gauge put in hopefully this week. along with a boost gauge and wideband gauge and sensor.

um.....

Reply #10
While a FPG is a good idea, right now you should be able to verify that you have fuel pressure by releasing pressure at the schrader valve.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

um.....

Reply #11
If youve got spark, your only missing one thing, right?

How old is your fuel pump, check the pump relay.  Do you hear the pump prime briefly when you first turn the key?
Mike

um.....

Reply #12
You can have pressure,but not enough presure.That's what happened to my last fuel pump. Low pressure,no go.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

um.....

Reply #13
yeppers, if you do not have proper pressure 39-43 psi at the rail with the vac lind disconnected then she will not fire

also I have had issues with with starting/ low voltage to the Fuel pump from the roll over switch being bad.

If when it happens again, bypass the switch, unplug and jumper it, and then see if that starts the car.
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

um.....

Reply #14
Run codes yet?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo