Skip to main content
Topic: low voltage at idle/ other times (Read 1766 times) previous topic - next topic

low voltage at idle/ other times

have a 4 channel 200 watt amp powering a 10 subwoofer tube and 6 speakers(with crossover) in a cabinet all mounted in the trunk. at low idle (say red light with foot on the brake) amp cuts out, if i run wiper a/c and headlights amp cuts out. Also the  dash starts with the ding ding ding and the alt gauge pops up (digital dash) and shows the amps are at the low end of the scale. Do i need a second battery in the trunk or do i need a bigger alternator. should i go to a smaller amp, say 2  channel 100 watt?
ps it gets worse when powering the mp3 unit through the cig liter socket.
 :bowdown: please help
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: low voltage at idle/ other times

Reply #1
sounds like altenator. I would check the tension on your belt as well. as slightly better altenator may help with "loudness" of the amp too.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Sounds like a 3G swap in the makin's :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Your stock Alt. should be able to handle much more than just that 4-ch amp, therefore no use for a 2nd battery.  As Haystack said, check your belt tension, but also have the Alt. checked, it might be getting ready to go out.
  If you do replace the Alt. a higher amperage rating won't make it "louder", but it will give your electrical system some breathing room for when/if you upgrade your sound system or add more 12v accessories.  Once everything is working properly again, a small capacitor is always a good investment, sounds like a 1/2 farad would work for you.
        Good Luck.
Black 1988 XR7 - HO Upper, TB, and Headers.  Dynomax Exhaust.  Looks like  from a bad hit, but its my baby!

Reply #4
Quote from: EvilBlackCat
Your stock Alt. should be able to handle much more than just that 4-ch amp.

really>?
why?

Reply #5
I've never had a problem with either of my 2 cougars with amperage and in the past i've been running about 500w RMS between my two amplifiers.  Perhaps i shouldn't have said "much more" just "more".  There is a point when you do need to get a larger Alt. but based off of what baylensman said he's below that point.
On monday i'll talk to the master installer at my shop and ask him what the rule/formula was for determining amperage draw so i can get a better/more precise answer for everyone.
Black 1988 XR7 - HO Upper, TB, and Headers.  Dynomax Exhaust.  Looks like  from a bad hit, but its my baby!