Skip to main content
Topic: Stripping wheels (Read 2183 times) previous topic - next topic

Stripping wheels

Looking to polish my wheels but first they need stripped. They are 17" oz racing monte carlos (aluminum). They apear to be poweder coated or anodized silver. What whould be a good way to strip the finish off?

Re: Stripping wheels

Reply #1
come on guys.....some has to know something

Reply #2
Acetone. . . Use large amounts of it and all the  on the wheel will come off. I used a brillo pad to rub off the old clearcoat and paint off my wheels. Using the brillo pad did not put any scratches in my wheels but depending on the style/ surface of your wheel, you might want to use a towel instead. Let the acetone sit on the wheel for a few seconds and get the rag wet with the acetone and start rubbing. It takes a lot of elbow grease but you will not damage your wheels natural finish. The stuff evaporates rather quickly so that's why I said you will use a lot. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reply #3
Thank you very much. I'm all outta questions for now though.

Reply #4
I used a product called aircraft stripper to take the clear off my OE wheels  works well but very caustic.  Should be sold in parts stores in paint section

Reply #5
yeah, that aircraft striper is mean shiznit. dont get it on your skin and keep water near ya, i got chemical burns from that stuff. and DONT breath it in.

Reply #6
and wash aircraft stripper off with LOTS of water.  If you plan to paint the wheels wash them with soap and water and then just water and then grease and wax remover, the stuff is hard on new paint if it is not completly removed.

Reply #7
All I can say now is bling bling! Turns out I didn't need to strip them. I just went over them with a scotchbrite pad and mothers aluminum and mag polish and then went over them again with the polish and terry cloth. The wheels look a million times better now. They could be gone over again which I might do. But I must say don't get that shiznit in your eyes. I did in one eye and wow! It got a thick clear film over it and some other nasty stuff. But yeah......I need to get pictures.

Reply #8
gasket remover works very well too.