Skip to main content
Topic: I think I see big hassle in my future (Read 1836 times) previous topic - next topic

I think I see big hassle in my future

Ive been noticing coolant on the concrete under my car. :yuck:  Ive narrowed it down to coming out of the AC condensation drain on the firewall. :barf: Im sure this means heater core.  Is there any other possibilities?  Please tell me there is..... :shoothead

The heater hoses are all perfectly dry above it.
Mike

Reply #1
Quote from: mcb82gt;333430
Ive been noticing coolant on the concrete under my car. :yuck:  Ive narrowed it down to coming out of the AC condensation drain on the firewall. :barf: Im sure this means heater core.  Is there any other possibilities?  Please tell me there is..... :shoothead

The heater hoses are all perfectly dry above it.

I'm thinking you ought to review the dash removal instructions.  Heater core.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #2
Quote from: tbirdsps;333432

X2.

Don't get excited. It's really not that big of a deal.It took me 9 hours the first time....6 hours the second time, and ALMOST an hour the third time.There's a write up on here that shows how to do it simply.Literally,it took me less than an hour (but almost an hour),was hassle free,and made it a no brainer.I think now I could do it even faster.Just a few fasteners,swap the core,re-install.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Go here....study it....gather your thoughts....take a deep breath....realize that it isn't really as bad as it looks or as bad as it's made out to be.........NO BIG DEAL.....

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/heatercore.html
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Quote from: tbirdsps;333432

I was looking at that after I posted this thread.  It doesnt look too bad :flip:

Ive heard the Ford part isnt available anymore, what is the best replacement?  I read about soldering a bracket, but I didnt really understand where that was supposed to be.

Where are the aftermarket pieces failing?  Tubes,Core,Seam etc??
Mike

Reply #5
I replaced one and than 6 months later I yanked the tube right out of the core while changing the lower intake.  That really sucked.. Goto the coolcats link it will show you all the bolts and that little hidden one near the steering wheel lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Before you even think about installing the new heater core, add more solder where the tubes meet the core

the cheap auto parts store cores are soldered thin, and the vibration of driving will work them loose.

I had this happen on my bird, new core in and 3 months later it formed a crack in the solder joint.
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #7
Screw it, just route the heater hose outlet into the inlet.  You don't need heat. Heat is for weenies and girlfriends.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #8
Yeah the one's from Autozone have a habit of de-soldering them selves too!!! I had that happen at least 3 times on different Fox's
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #9
Quote from: 88CougarGT;333560
  You don't need heat..

Maybe in San Anton.
Mike

Reply #10
My Autozone core has been great for 3 1/2 years.I also had one on my last T-Bird that lasted about 5 years with no issues (probably longer,but I parted the car out).

Reply #11
Quote from: vinnietbird;333592
My Autozone core has been great for 3 1/2 years.I also had one on my last T-Bird that lasted about 5 years with no issues (probably longer,but I parted the car out).

Ditto for me.  Four years ago.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #12
I think,at times,it's installing the hoses...removing the hoses....and back and forth that can wear out the pipes and their solder joints.BUT,I haven't had a bad one to deal with as some have.As with any part from any place,some turn out bad.I've bought Autozone alternators that last for years,and a couple that lasted a day.....if that.

Reply #13
Sounds like a  shoot..... Im not sure which one to get.
Mike