Skip to main content
Topic: help! my windows falling down and cant get up!! (Read 2378 times) previous topic - next topic

help! my windows falling down and cant get up!!

hi guys, anybody got a fix for the plastic window holders that hold the glass on the rail for electric windows. my window keeps getting pull out of them when i put them down. theres a strange clear gasket of some alien stick stuff on the window... what is it and where can i get it?  thanks, dwight:D

Reply #1
Do a search,it's been covered a lot. I use an epoxy stick for marine use.It's been a great fix in wicked hot weather and cold. Lasted nearly 4 years so far.It's a white stick with a gray center.Awesome stuff.Sand the glass down and clean all of the old adhesive from the plastic clips,sand in there too,apply the adhesive per instructions,let it dry,enjoy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
where do you buy this epoxy Vinnie?  we have the same issues on 2 of our birds.

Reply #3
Quote from: 88turbo;332806

were they the ones I sent you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
no lol, they are holding tight. but the ones in the red 88 are both loose and the drivers side in the black 87 popped off

Reply #5
Quote from: 88turbo;332806

Wal-Mart. Easy to find and easy to use. Cost about 3 bucks.I kneaded it til it was ready,jammed a glob into the clips,pressed the glass in,installed the glass into the doors and rolled the windows all the way up and let the stuff dry for about 6 or 8 hours.Should be good to go after that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
You may be able to use a glass silicone caulk too they sell it at home depot near the glass and plexiglass. It's diff then regular silicone caulk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
sorry man , tried the glass silicone. dont work. tried gorilla glue...got glue on the glass..well you know the story. no problem getting the window up or down now:D vinnies idea the best way to go. thanks for the help guys.

Reply #9
also lubing the window channels with silicone spray lube helps to keep the window from binding.

Reply #10
Windshield adhesive glue. Make sure its in right, or it will bend the window tracks. It has lasted for over a year on my drivers side and lasted 8 months on the passenger until everything got all bent up. It will do very well in just about any weather and is made yo glue plastics, metal and glass. I bought new clips at autozone for like $4, sanded them and the window down and drilled a couple of holes in the clips. One clip on my passenger side is still glued on.

Before you prep it with sand paper, mark where the mount was. That was my mistake on the passenger side. I also glued it with the window outside of the car instead of being smart about it. Just put the window in place after its clean, roll it up and down a couple of times (while holding the window in place), then just smear the stuff in the clips and roll it up and leave it for a day or two. Also, lube everything up with white lithium grease.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Quote from: daminc;332808
were they the ones I sent you?

now that you said something lol....  :toilet:  :punchballs::rollin:

Reply #12
Quote from: 88turbo;333486
now that you said something lol....  :toilet:  :punchballs::rollin:

Noooooooooo.

It must be the heat over there. yea, that's it. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
lol, I tried vinnie's trick with the water weld. we will see how long it holds on.

Reply #14
That's just crazy. Those were the original glass out of my flapping  doors. I guess they had an expiration date after all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook