Skip to main content
Topic: A237 cam trouble!!!! (Read 1527 times) previous topic - next topic

A237 cam trouble!!!!

sooo trouble.... does anybody know the specs the A237 cam should be set up at? and where it should be lined up at?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

A237 cam trouble!!!!

Reply #1
some shiznit happened and now we cant figure out whats going on so we need the instructions on how to setup the cam. AND my buddy forgot to tighten the driver side valve cover gasket so i have oil all of my engine!!! its pooled up in the intake manifold and its even dripping off the drive shaft how much oil came out during the test drive. oh and the car feels like its making 70hp.... If i can fix it. it will be a good learning experience.... depressed in the current mood
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

A237 cam trouble!!!!

Reply #2
Sounds like the timming is way off. There should be a keyway or pin on the cam gear to cam. Then you have to set the pointer that is on the cam, crank and idler shaft gears to spots marked on your timing cover. Put on the belt and it should all line up. But it has been a few years since I played with a 2.3T engine.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

A237 cam trouble!!!!

Reply #3
well i have an adjustable cam gear with 9 different places the pin could go... lol try them all?

A237 cam trouble!!!!

Reply #4
Take the cam gear in your hand, and look closely at it. It will have a number above each keyway, except one. That key way is "straight up", or 0 degrees. That's the keyway to use to set up the cam initially.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

A237 cam trouble!!!!

Reply #5
yeah, thats where i was planning on starting. thanks jangus. im going to start pretty soon with it.

A237 cam trouble!!!!

Reply #6
with some adjustable cam gears, ther is no mark to line up to the pointer on the back belt cover

pull the cam gear bolt, and point the keyway/cam pin to 6 O'clock, bring #1 cyl to TDC, on the crank gear there is a triangle, and the front seal plate has a notch cast into it, line those two up.

for the dizzy, look at what tower has #1 spark plug lead on it. now remove the cap, and spin the aux shaft gear till the rotor points where that tower would be.

now install the belt, set the tentioner and spring, now, put the crank bolt in, and rotate the engine over 4-6 times, and line it all back up and look at it all. if its good, put sealent on the cam bolt threads, torque it and finish up

set your base time to 10* with the spout out lock the dizzy down  and you should be done.
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow