Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Cougar for sale or parts (Read 1671 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Cougar for sale or parts

Mileage: 600,000
Engine: 3.8
Vin: Available upon request

The car is not running right now. Warped the head 2 years ago, rebuilt the engine had the head shaved .02 put the car back together and now it won't run. Is in fair condition if interested in getting it running. Or for parting out. I had wanted to keep this car, has a lot of sentimental value, but am unemployed and need any money I can get right now.

So far I've replaced:
power steering pump
Radiator
Overflow for radiator
Fan
Brake booster
alternator

Original transmission has no problems with shifting or accelerating. Up until the head warped it was purring like a kitten.

Needs minor cosmetic work, has a few rust spots. Have replaced the nose cone due to an accident a few years ago. Needs a new dash badly.

A-frame is warped, has been since the day it rolled off the factory floor. Sounds like a bird chirping when the car is running.

More photo's available upon request.

Will also part it out if there is something specific you are looking for just send me a message and let me know.

Reply #1
how much?
John

Reply #2

Reply #3
Is it really 600K miles?
Mike

Reply #4
Yes, but since the speedometer rolls back to 100,000 it doesn't actually say it. My grandmother bought this car brand new she rolled it over two times before I got it, my brother also drove it when needed to. He rolled it over one time and I've rolled it two times. So near as I can figure it's got 600,000 miles under it's belt.

Reply #5
600k is a hell of a lot of miles....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #6
That might be the most miles I have heard of on a fox cougar.

Not poking fun, that's a compliment :)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #7
Quote from: ScorchingRed88Cougar;332305
Yes, but since the speedometer rolls back to 100,000 it doesn't actually say it. My grandmother bought this car brand new she rolled it over two times before I got it, my brother also drove it when needed to. He rolled it over one time and I've rolled it two times. So near as I can figure it's got 600,000 miles under it's belt.

Ford needs to recognize that somehow. That is one hell ova' lot of miles.  :burnout:
Mike

Reply #8
I know, I wish there was a way to verify it. The first time I rolled the speedometer over was my senior year in high school back in 2000. LoL. This car has a lot of life left to her. I really want her to go to someone who can put her back on the road. My mechanic that has worked on the car when my grandmother had it can't believe how well that car ran and i'm sure he'd say that to anyone that asked. The last time he saw it was back in  '05 when I took a roadtrip before the head warped. Got 44 mpg on the way down there. Best it ever got, normal was almost 30 mpg.

Reply #9
How many engines/trannies has it been through?

Reply #10
still got the original engine and transmission, all I've done to the engine is put a new head gasket on it.

Reply #11
It's the original Engine and Transmission in it.

Reply #12
What kind of shape are the grille and front lights in
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #13
I just sold the lights but the grill is free of defects.

Reply #14
I want it. PM me a price, shipped to 34420, Belleview FL
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L