Skip to main content
Topic: I Found My Next Project (Read 1962 times) previous topic - next topic

I Found My Next Project

So, I was moving the 'underbird back in the driveway, so I can break out the washing stuff for it. Give it a bath, make it look good, all that stuff.

Well, I rolled ...well, pressed the button to make the window go down, because it was like a sauna in there. So I pressed the button for the window to go up & all I heard was the motor turning :rollin:

I reckon I need to take the door panel off and replace the window regulator stuff.

Rebuilding the regulator cannot be any worse than rebuilding the door hinge, so I'll get it done on a weekend after I get the parts in :headbang:
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

I Found My Next Project

Reply #1
My pennies are on you need a set of Window Regulator Plugs

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Automotive-Help-and-Miscellaneous-Products/Window-Regulator-Gear-Plug/_/N-25bw?filterByKeyWord=ford+window+regulator&fromString=search

My passenger window did that last year and I can tell my driver window is getting ready. 

Good news is they are cheap.  Bad news is its kinda annoying to take apart/clean/re-assemble, but not hard.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

I Found My Next Project

Reply #2
Quote from: 88CougarGT;332134
My pennies are on you need a set of Window Regulator Plugs

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Automotive-Help-and-Miscellaneous-Products/Window-Regulator-Gear-Plug/_/N-25bw?filterByKeyWord=ford+window+regulator&fromString=search

My passenger window did that last year and I can tell my driver window is getting ready. 

Good news is they are cheap.  Bad news is its kinda annoying to take apart/clean/re-assemble, but not hard.

Yep, the cam buttons are shot. The rebuild kit I ordered come with new cam buttons and a new nylon gear. Having not done this, before, I'm thinking it will be a two to three hour job.

I Found My Next Project

Reply #3
Quote from: Scott D;332135
Yep, the cam buttons are shot. The rebuild kit I ordered come with new cam buttons and a new nylon gear. Having not done this, before, I'm thinking it will be a two to three hour job.

Not a hard job at all. Remove the door panel, unbolt the motor replace the nylon plugs and re-assemble. If no one has been in there before you might have to drill one hole in the door but there is a dimple in the door so you will see where to go. You will have it back together, washed, and all cleaned up well before the 2-3 hour mark.

I Found My Next Project

Reply #4
At least you don't have to drill holes in the door to get to the bolts....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

I Found My Next Project

Reply #5
Alright!! The rebuild kit should be here, before the weekend :headbang:

I Found My Next Project

Reply #6
Yup, I had to drill the doors on both my 86 and 92 Tbird.  There's only one bolt that's a bugger.  Simple job really.  Expect ses and cuts with a bit of blood if you are big handed.

Experience...:D
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

I Found My Next Project

Reply #7
The rebuild kit was waiting for me, in the mailbox :headbang:

I should be able to get it done in a few hours, tomorrow. I'll post pics of the deal, in my post in the user rides section, of the process.

I Found My Next Project

Reply #8
Do a write up with pics, and post it in the "how to" section. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

I Found My Next Project

Reply #9
Quote from: daminc;332908
Do a write up with pics, and post it in the "how to" section. ;)

Or, I could do that, too :o

I Found My Next Project

Reply #10
thats right . you need to be the guinea pig for the rest of us
w/MN12's. thanks for the writeups.--irv

I Found My Next Project

Reply #11
Quote from: irv;332956
thats right . you need to be the guinea pig for the rest of us
w/MN12's. thanks for the writeups.--irv

Not a problem, at all, sir.

I just got done with the power window rebuild. It took every bit of an hour. I did end up with one broken piece, but, it hasn't effected the functionality of anything. Plus, it gives me just one more thing to do with the restoration ;)

I should have a write up done, shortly. It'll be pic heavy and list all of the tools to use (on a 96/97, anyway).

Done with the write-up http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=29213