Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 cam swap!!! (Read 1292 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 cam swap!!!

im swapping my A237 roller cam tomorrow for a bo 1.9 cam. i bought new springs and HLAs. im wondering if you guys have any tips to help out. Thank you
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #1
Do you have any specialty tools for the job, like the tension release tool or the spring compressor?  If not, look on TF to see what others have done to make their own.

In no particular order:
Get the motor at TDC before taking it apart. 
Make sure you've got at least one retrieving tool (magnet, grabber etc).
Changing the timing belt at this time wouldn't be a bad idea if it's even close to that service interval.
Have plenty of frustration mitigation libations on hand.
Get a friend to do the greasy jobs so you don't have to, or at least be there to hand you the FML, and point to the dropped bolt you can't see.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #2
If you have a valve spring compressor that allows easy removal of the rockers, the toughest part will be removing the retainer plate on back of the head... A  large phillips bit in a ratchet wrench works wonders...

Once you've done one they are easy, I've replaced them in under a hour... I've also replaced a set of valve stem seals, and drove the car down the street in 45 minutes(the cam cover was already removed and old gaskets removed from cover and head)...

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #3
i just bought a valve compressor and a ranger valve cover gasket. my buddy who just put in a ported head on his turbocoupe is helping me out. lol im sure i'll be on here frustrated tomorrow asking for help. thank you for the tips!
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #4
for the record. the valve wont fall through into the engine when i use the spring compressor and take off the retainer will it?

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #5
It will if you don't do something to stop it. Pressurize the cylinder with compressed air from an air compressor, or use the old rope trick. Otherwise you'll be pulling the head to put the valve back in place.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: jangus;331688
it will if you don't do something to stop it. Pressurize the cylinder with compressed air from an air compressor, or use the old rope trick. Otherwise you'll be pulling the head to put the valve back in place.

+1
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #7
at the back of the head on the pass side is the oil return hole, pack a rag in it so you will not drop the cam retaing plate screw down there into the oil pan
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #8
abort mission!!!! FAIL!!! lol turns out my friend and i dont have the tools to do it and now we are struggling with the getting the crank pulley... we some how got the old one out but we cant get the new one in. we abanned all hope of changing the cam and valves. i decided on building off my friends old head and just doing a head swap later on. any tips in getting that bolt unscrewed from the crank pullet would be really appreciated...

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #9
#1) Why are trying to take off the crank pulley?
#2) Unbolt the engine from the mounts and jackup the front of the motor to gain enough room to slide in the new cam. Works like a charm.
#3) Try putting an old serpentine belt on the crank pulley and pinch the free ends of the belt together with a pair of vice-grips to lock the belt onto the pulley, using the friction of the belt on the pulley to hold it while you, or someone else, uses a LONG breaker bar to pop the bolt loose.
#4) Again, why are you trying to take the crank pulley off anyway?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #10
i needed to take the crank pulley off to get the new timing belt in.
we dont. we never even got to the cam.... i ended up getting my car towed to a local shop (a friend of the family) and he is going to help me out with it tomorrow so i can have the right tools. but the bo 1.9 cam isnt going in. im just going to get a head built and then do a head swap with that cam and oversized valves.

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #11
oh, one good thing cam out of today. i found out i have a adjustable cam pulley! looking on the bright side here.

2.3 cam swap!!!

Reply #12
to brake the crank bolt loose (with out the use of air tools)  put you 22mm deep socket on a 18" breaker bar,  place the then end of the handle on the ground, in the rotation of the engine,  then bump the starter it will knock the bolt loose
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow